Thursday, September 1, 2011

good boys of late

So me and my littlest boy went to Utah with my brother. That is where we were. We got to drive with Brent over to school and hang out for a few days with family and friends. It was a really good experience for multiple reasons.
First, Emmett is the funniest, sweetest little boy and I was so grateful to get to spend so much one on one time with him. He sat on my lap at dinner. He slept on my tummy half the night and right beside me the other half. He had me carry him places where he would normally have walked. It was so fun. I felt like a new mom again. I didn't forget about my other kids, don't worry, but I felt like all my attention could be focused on Emmett. I needed that. I think we both needed that.
Second, my brother is a great guy and I got to know him even better on our long drive. There are six years between us so we have always been in really different stages in life. When I got married he was in middle school. Since then I have kept having babies and I have felt like both of my brothers went from being my brothers to being my kids' uncles. Interesting how that works. So it was nice to spend time with Brent and to let my womanly instincts and motherly traits help him get set up for college. I found myself wanting to protect him and hover and then reminding myself that he is a grown man and able to fend for himself.
Brent and I are a lot alike and I notice it more and more as we get older. He is very sensitive and genuine (wow, that makes me sound awesome doesn't it ). I guess I mean I can really relate to him. We think the same. The whole time he helped me with Emmett by carrying him so I didn't have to and entertaining him when he was tired or bored. On multiple occasions I noticed him opening doors for either myself or other women in grocery stores. He is such a nice boy and I am so excited for this time in his life.
Third, Jeff's brothers in Utah were so helpful and accommodating and I was so impressed by how they treated Emmett and I. One gave up his bed, actually his whole room, so we could sleep comfortably. They were constantly strapping in Emmett's car seat and hauling it from place to place and I felt so spoiled by their help. Totally voluntary.
Last, my crush. Who I love so much. Who is so gentle and kind and so helpful and considerate. True story... As I am riding down the escalator in the airport coming home I am looking out for Jeff because I want to hold him and kiss him and pass Emmett off to him. Then I see him, in the distance walking out of the airport with some other woman. Really! It is a woman and children (I don't know how many, maybe just one) and he is helping her with her load. My nose starts to flare and my head is screaming "Hey dude. I'm over here. Remember, your wife and kid. This kid is heavy too and I've been carrying him for days and guess what, he's yours so maybe you could help me..." on and on. Ruthless, I know. It's so hard being a woman and having those awful thoughts. Luckily my heart was there to convince my head not to worry. I am so blessed to be married to such a gentleman. Jeff is mine forever and he is such a gem. The bad thoughts didn't last after that. I put myself in the shoes of that woman and recognized what a blessing Jeff was to her in that moment when she needed a hand.
Jeff had everything in order when I got home because he knew that is just the way I would like it. The laundry was done. The bed was made. The fresh cherry pie he had made from scratch that morning was waiting to be eaten.
Good boys are such a blessing.


3 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

so jealous you got to go :) miss him already and you guys are exactly alike!

Jeremy Saunders said...

What a great post, yes, good boys are a blessing! Is your brother down at BYU provo? Maybe he should run into Summer? He will have to arm wrestle Eli, but hey...haha! What a fun trip for you!
mimi

Andrea said...

Yes Mimi. Brent is in Provo at BYU. I think he and Summer have already crossed paths. He played basketball with Eli one night so I'm sure Summer was probably there :)