Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Be strong and of a good courage..."


"Say School." "School!"
I had to put this picture with this post because the looks on our faces totally match our feelings.
Me; don't go! Let me hold onto you forever.
Brax; uh mom. I totally got this. I can handle it. No problem. Can we just go now?

Joshua 1:9 Have not I commanded thee? Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the aLord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Today was Braxton's first day of school. Sort of. His first day will actually be Monday but today we had the Kindergarten Assessment.
My sister watched Emmett and Adelle so that just Braxton and I could go. We got to a classroom and the lady asked him his name. Then he got his name tag and she said, "ok, you go this way, and mom, you go down to the Library."

I was totally caught off guard at this point. The flyer I got in the mail said that the parents would stay and so I assumed we would stay together. Not the case. I asked Braxton if he was o.k, and he was, and so then I turned and as soon as he was out of sight I released the tears.


This has been quite the process for me, the whole school thing. The truth is that I feel really good about him going to school. I haven't always been able to say that.


I really carefully thought about homeschooling him. I researched it. Read the books. Talked to everyone I knew and got different opinions. I didn't ever feel good about it. Not for this kid, at least. Then I thought about transferring him to another district. One that was a little more conservative and that didn't send their Kindergartners every day. I filled out those papers. Got Jeff on board. Then, finally, I fasted and prayed and to everyone's astonishment and to my own disappointment the answer I received was that he was to go to the nice little school right by our house and that he would do just wonderfully there. The funny thing was I totally stalled praying about it because I knew the answer the whole time but it wasn't what I thought I wanted so I kept looking for escapes. Funny how we do that sometimes. After I got my answer I knew that I had to shape up. I couldn't let Braxton know my concerns. I needed to put on my big girl panties and start preparing both of us for this big step.

It hasn't been easy for me. Every day for the last while I have prayed about this and prayed for Braxton and I cry every time. Even when Jeff prays and mentions anything about school in his prayer I cry. Not because I'm worried about him. He's awesome and capable and hugely ready for this. More for me. For the help that I need in letting go. For the help I will need when I don't know who he is playing with or what the teacher is telling him or what the boy next to him is teaching him or when the bathrooms were last cleaned or what name someone called him or.....

Last night we read "The Kissing Hand" and we kissed each others hands. My Gramy bought that book for Braxton and brought it over last week for him to have before school. It was sweet but it made me cry. Then Jeff gave Braxton a father's blessing for school and this was really special and helped strengthen me by reminding me that Braxton will never be completely alone. I know and trust that the Lord never leaves us alone.

So today was one of many steps. He got up early and picked out his outfit. He ate a good breakfast of steal cut oatmeal with frozen raspberries. Then when my sister got here we were on our way. Hand in hand.

After the parent meeting in the Library and his assessment I found Braxton outside at recess. He was right next to some teacher with a bunch of other little Kindergartners and he looked a little hesitant. But, he wasn't crying, so he did a lot better than me. He was relieved to see me though and when we left he told me that he was going to miss me when he was at school. He told me it was fun and then he told me everything they asked him to do. "I had to count as high as I could so I just kept counting and counting and then they wanted me to do the alphabet and then I had to like match these shape things and when the teacher asked me what I was excited about I said reading and wrote my numbers and then I had to tell my teacher what the letters were....."

It was a good day. I am feeling more prepared than I was yesterday. Friday Braxton will know what teacher he has and he will find his classroom.

I am so excited for Braxton. I really am. I love him so much and I am grateful for the years that I have had him all to myself. Someone once told me they wouldn't last forever and they were right. I am excited to share this young lad with the world.




10 comments:

Vashti said...

Oh, man! I am going to be a gone when it is time for Olivia to go to school! I debated about starting her in preschool this year, but I just can't bear to be parted with her yet, so I am going to just do some extra stuff with her at home!
Good for you about researching all your options and then listening to the spirit to see what was best for your child!

Kelsey said...

Reading this makes me want to cry! I have a feeling I'll be just like you next year.

Macey did preschool last year, but I just couldn't do it this year. I'm keeping her all to myself for just one more year.

Braxton is going to love school and hopefully he'll keep telling you everything he does while he's away from you. :)

Rachel Ashmore said...

love you guys. :)

Nancy and Spencer said...

I'm crying with you! I'm having a hard time this week watching Kaden go out and play with the neighborhood kids. It started me thinking about all the things you just wrote about. I've cried a lot this week about it all and its not until NEXT year for us. sheesh. You've raised a phenomenal little boy. He's going to do great!
p.s. I may be contacting you next year to give me a pep talk when its our turn for this. :)

Gilday Family said...

Andrea, I am crying reading this post. I think we'll need to share some coffee and tears this next week. Huge hugs, friend. I got your text and I would love to maybe work out a babysitting trade with our little ones so that you and I can volunteer in our big kid's classes. Unless they let me wear Ari on my back while volunteering?

Jayme said...

It was really weird for me sending Lexi to school because she was first too. I had the same reservations of not knowing what she would be doing all the time or how people would be treating her like I had so far her whole life, but I knew that I had taught her the things she needed to know at all times and in all places and so it didn't take me too long to be comfortable with her going to school without me.

Jessica said...

Oh man. I am crying a little bit for you. There are so many emotions that go with sending our little ones off to school. Just know that God chose you to be Braxtons mom so you could prepare him for everything he will encounter. You are an awesome mom and you have more than prepared your little cherub. He is going to do awesome. I remind my kids every morning to be a blessing. I follow this up with telling them they are a blessing to me. This helps me remember they are sent off into the world to be little lights to others not just me:) I will be praying for the both of you on Monday!

Andrea said...

Thank you veteran mom's for all the advice.
I look up to all of you! If you can do it, I can do it!

Unknown said...

Awesome post - your pictures sums it all up!
I was surprised with the answer and proud of you for going forward with what you didn't think was the right answer at first (I hope that sentence made sense...).
Love you. Miss you!

Peter and Lesha said...

the good thing is, is that he does got it, he has it all under control and he will do great cause he is great