Thursday, September 15, 2011

Kindergarten Update



Today is day 4 of Kindergarten. I'm not sold on it yet but I am trying to put aside my mother bear instincts and give the school and the teacher the chance they deserve.

Monday was tough. I dropped him off and then distracted myself by walking with a friend up to my church to play volleyball with some other mommies. That was a good choice on my part because it totally preoccupied my time.
My mother in law texted me that day to see how I was doing. It was much needed. How did she know to do that? She must be a mom or something.
My mom has been sending me daily emails reminding me that it's all going to be o.k. You always need your mom.

After school on Monday the kids were happy to have Braxton home and they were all playing in the backyard when Braxton stepped on a bee, swelling up his foot for the next 2 days. That sure didn't make things any easier.

Tuesday I went to the PTO meeting hoping to convince myself that this is real and I want to be involved. I was shocked that there were only 8 of us there and a little discouraged. I met some nice moms and talked with the Principal who has been there for 24 years. That was encouraging. Maybe I should teach him to hang out in the Principals office. She's a really great lady.

Wednesday has been the best day so far. I picked him up and he actually had something to tell me. The other days he came home really quiet and a little out of it which concerned me. I think there is just so much to take in and he's a little overwhelmed. Wednesday though he told me that his foot didn't hurt anymore and that they played with blocks. He also told me that he went to the bathroom that day so that was good.

So to all of you experts out there. Is the first week always easy? I am frustrated. Braxton is reading. He comes home from school and tells me, "mom, I don't even get to read at school." So far all the work they have done that I know about is coloring pages and tracing letters. Are they just assessing where everyone is at? I tell myself this is all part of the first couple weeks and then hopefully he will be more challenged. I know we were spoiled at preschool but I am afraid that he won't get noticed by the teacher. I want him to feel like he has a place there and right now I feel like he is just a number. There are 30 kids in his class. Absolutely insane! I did sign up to help in the classroom so I am not just complaining, I plan to help out and hopefully other parents will see the need as well.

Braxton is doing great. He loves going. He has made a couple friends who actually live in the neighborhood so we get to walk to school with them too. He made a basket in the basketball hoop at recess on the first day so that was a huge thing for him. Good way to start the year.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! I'm sure you don't know me, but our hubby's went to high school together. I've been blog stock you for a bit, and thought that I might share my thoughts and experience with Kinder with you. :D

For the most part, the first few weeks of school are getting everyone into a routine, getting use to the class, and finding out where every one is at. I was in my son's class room a lot last year. The teacher told me that the ones that can read already are a hard to work with. She is a kinder teacher, and really doesn't have much for the ones that are beyond that level. But then, this is our teacher in Oregon, so it could be, and hopefully is, different in Bellingham. (I'm not happy that we have this same teacher again for our daughter.)

The best thing is to be involved. Go into the class when you can. Hopefully in the next month or sooner, there will be reading groups formed and he'll be challenged then. You can help out at Library times and make sure he gets books that are at his level.

I can barely get anything out of my daughter as well. She says, "I don't know what we did." Having had our eldest in that class, I know what they did, so I can ask specific questions and get her talking. I also am going to be following the teacher's website and work more at home with her. She is not like her brother, and will need the extra work at home. Maybe, if your teacher does that, or sends home newsletters, you can see what they are learning and help him at home. maybe make it more challenging for him.

It will get better. He will learn new things, and make new friends. Have faith! Pray for help. You can do this. It's tough to see our little ones struggling, and having to let them do so. But they need too. Stay strong mama! You can do this! :D

Tif said...

Last year for Keira I think it was about November when they really seemed to work on reading. They started sending books home by the beginning of October but they were like 2 letter word books, 3 words in a sentence, etc. She was ready for more and I just let the teacher know that she needed harder books.

We're on week #2 here with Scharae and it's the same thing-coloring pages, assessments to try and figure out which kids are where with math and reading so she can make up groups and really get going. My goal is to be in there at least 2x a week because none of the other parents seem to have an interest. Last year I was pregnant and on bedrest and all that junk so I didn't really make it in to the class and I can already tell a difference in how I feel sending my child to the class knowing that I'm going to be in there to see how things are.

Jessica said...

Pray Pray Pray Mama Bear.....You can do this!! Braxton is an awesome kid and you will be able to tell what he needs overtime. You can't judge from the first week. Give it time:)

A and C said...

My kids have been reading or pretty close to it before Kindergarten. It really puts them at a disadvantage because they are so far above everyone else. The really hard thing for me was realizing how many of the kids there don't have a great support system at home. Many have never even played a board game, ever...really. It is sad. Give it a few weeks and things will fall into routines but I am shocked that there are 30 kids in there. That is way to much for a kinder class. Stay in contact with the teacher. If she is a good teacher she will make sure that he is challenged so he doesn't get too bored BUT, you don't want him so far ahead that then he is out of place either. Just keep praying and talking with him. My kids still don't tell me much about school when I ask. It is at surprising times when they decide to open up about things (like Justin tonight). Braxton will be a wonderful light to all those around him!

Andrea said...

Thanks for all the comments and insight.
They are really helpful.
Every day has gotten better and Braxton has had more to share.
They have been debating bringing on another teacher to lower the class size so we will see where that goes.

Jeremy Saunders said...

Andrea, I didn't read this before you emailed me! Yes, 30 is way too much! That poor teacher. Unless she is super organized, it's going to be a hard year for her. I would write a letter and encourage the principal to add another teacher. That is a lot for a fifth grade class where they are all independent learners, half the kids in Kindergarten don't know how to tie their shoes!
Also, I would just keep reading with Brax. If the teacher is organized, she will put him in a reading group, and she will find reading material that challenges him. Aidan's kinder teacher did that for him, he was reading 1st, 2nd, 3rd grade stuff in Kinder. It all depends on your teacher. And you getting in there and supporting her! GOOD LUCK! I am sure he was quiet because it's a long day, but his body will start getting used to it!
Mimi

The Burrow Family said...

Hang in there mama. First off, I do agree that 30 kindergartners is waayyyyy to many! We do 20 kids to one teacher here and that seems manageable. As far as Mr. Braxton being challanged, once all the assessments and initial beginning of the year stuff is done, go in and talk to the teacher. She will know how he does for the most part by then, she will know that he follows directions and she should have a good idea of his academic level, just request that he get harder work. When Addy was in 2nd and 3rd, after talking to her teacher, we just agreed to do more stuff at home that would allow her to work at a higher level. I know budgets, parent volunteers (or more for the lack of sadly enough) all affect the teachers plans. If you help out in his class, see how he blossoms in school and keep having him read a ton at home, he will do great. You have to remember that even though many of our children go to K reading, tying shoes, knowing addresses and phone numbers, colors and simple math....not all children are there yet. The teacher will also have to help others learn how to follow directions, sit at a table and work in small groups and even how not to talk out of turn. Many children do not even know colors or numbers by K (kind of sad but hey, thats how some families work ) Our littles can actually help there peers by setting a good example and forming new friendships. You are an awesome mom and have given Braxton a great base, see how he does and feels in awhile and go from there. I am also a supporter of homeschool if that works better...just didn't do it with my boys because I would have killed them and Addy LOVES school so here we are......Love and hugs to you and WTG to Braxton.