Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Donkey in the Well

Life is crazy. My computer is back, sort of, after being super attacked by some virus. I have a lot of catching up to do but I am not able to upload any pictures. So, instead, I will post this inspiring story. I'm sure we can all relate.

One day a farmer´s donkey fell down into a well. The animal cried piteously for hours as the farmer tried to figure out what to do. Finally he decided the animal was old and the well needed to be covered up anyway, it just wasn´t worth it to retrieve the donkey.


He invited all his neighbors to come over and help him. They all grabbed a shovel and began to shovel dirt into the well. At first, the donkey realized what was happening and cried horribly. Then, to everyone´s amazement, he quieted down.

A few shovel loads later, the farmer finally looked down the well and was astonished at what he saw. With every shovel of dirt that hit his back, the donkey was doing something amazing. He would shake it off and take a step up. As the farmer´s neighbors continued to shovel dirt on top of the animal, he would shake it off and take a step up.

Pretty soon, everyone was amazed as the donkey stepped up over the edge of the well and trotted off.

Life is going to shovel dirt on you, all kinds of dirt. The trick to getting out of the well, is to shake it off and take a step up. Each of our troubles is a stepping stone. We can get out of the deepest wells just by not stopping, never giving up! Shake it off and take a step upward!

I know life is challenging. I know for the last week or two I have felt like I was stuck at the bottom of some pit and all the neighbors were shoveling dirt on me. Then on Sunday I let the guards down and I let myself be taught by the Spirit during Sacrament meeting, which carried on to Sunday school, and so on. These words from a loving Prophet continue to strengthen me, “Now, remember, it is better to look up.” -Thomas S. Monson.

3 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

I love this story- I used it one time in one of my church talks!

Peter and Lesha said...

that was so great andrea, and I know you and your family have had your share of dirt shoveled on you but you are so inspiring to me and my family. My kids love being at your house more than anywhere else in the whole world and I know that is because they feel your love and spirit when they are there.

Nancy and Spencer said...

Thanks. :)