Thursday, October 27, 2011

learning to tell the truth

Adelle is my favorite girl in the whole world. Sometimes I think that even if she wasn't mine, she would still be my favorite. She is so completely original. You never know what to expect with this girl and she has really taught me the value of patience in learning. She is a good girl and I am in love.

On Tuesday (see last post) she had a Halloween party at her school. Filled with pumpkins, costumes, candy...All of her favorite things as of late.

After school she was showing me her art. It was a pumpkin drawn on a piece of paper that she got to decorate by gluing on candy corn. I was telling her what a good job she had done when she innocently said, "oh, and mom. These things taste really good (referring to the candy corn)." I wanted her to expand on that statement so I said, "Oh really sis. Did you get to have some?" My statement was very friendly, non threatening. I said it in a calm, nice, tone. Adelle looked at me and simply said, "no mom, my friends just told me they were good." At this point I knew the truth was not being told but I was fascinated and a little scared and her innocent, sweet way of lying to my face! I continued, "oh sis. It's ok if you had some of those it's just really important that we always tell the truth," to which she looked at me, gave me a smirk and giggled, "mom, how did you know that I had some?"

I guess I can take the eyes in the back of my head statement to a new level. I've got eyes a mile away in her preschool class! And I know my little girl better than she thinks!

Always a curve ball with this girl. The truth is she does want to be honest she is just learning how. I am glad to be her teacher. I am glad for the tender moments we share that strengthen both of us.

2 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

oh my heck she is too cute and i totally can't wait for teenage years with her, i hope she never changes

Unknown said...

oh silly mom, how did you know?! :D