Monday, November 7, 2011

Mrs.Andrea Art Docent

Docent - n. A teacher or lecturer at some universities who is not a regular faculty member. A lecturer or tour guide in a museum or cathedral.

This morning was one of my favorites. I got to teach art to Braxton and all of his little Kindergarten friends in Mrs. Howell's class.

At the beginning of the year the PTO Presidency asked for volunteers to be Art Docent's and teach art to the different classes. Because of budget cuts the art classes had to go. I volunteered, not really knowing what I was in for.

A few weeks later I went to a meeting where I learned about the first artist I was to teach,Piet Mondrian. (Remember, I would attach the link and a ton of pictures, but I can't!)

Since then I have been searching the internet, painting, organizing my thoughts, cutting lines out of construction paper, writing chants to help the kids memorize facts.... all in preparation for the hour class that I taught this morning.

IT WAS SUCH A HIT! I love to teach. I loved being the teacher of Braxton's class. I loved that the kids already knew me since I volunteer on Mondays. I loved that I kept their attention the whole time and most of all I LOVE WHAT THEY CREATED with some glue, lines and finger paints. Beautiful art!

Do you know anything about Mondrian? I did not. Honestly. The first I had even heard of him was a couple months ago when my sister-in-law posted a picture of his work on her blog. In case you are like me and didn't know anything about this artist, here is a song, to the tune of London Bridge, that I used today with the little bugs to remember the facts:

Mondrian used lots of lines.
Lots of lines.
Lots of lines.
Mondrian used lots of lines. In his paintings.

Black and white, red, yellow and blue.
Black, white, red. Yellow, blue.
Black and white, red, yellow and blue.
Abstract paintings!

Main points that I wanted to emphasize included:
Abstract art
Lines
Primary colors

I didn't come up with that all on my own. I just found one similar and simplified it a bit.

In the end they recreated Mondrian's famous New York and Red Tree paintings.

I cannot wait to find about about the next artist and get busy!

Randomly through the class I would ask them, "now what is our artists name?" and I they in uni-sense would respond, "PEIT MONDRIAN." Pronounced Peet Maun dree aun. While clapping their hands with each syllable.

Special thanks to my sister for taking good care of Adelle and M while I play with the Kindergartners on Monday mornings!

4 comments:

Black Family said...

When I use to teach Kindergarten I thought it was the BEST job in the world besides being a Mom. It is so fun you get to be in his class teaching so neat!

Nancy and Spencer said...

How fun!! I'm not at all surprised it was a success. :) You're so awesome!

And about your comment on Perry's cake, I worried that it would look like a gun! ha ha. I'm not anti-gun, but they make me uncomfortable and I don't want them in my house, real or fake. So rest assured, we will never have a gun theme birthday cake! :)

Peter and Lesha said...

so fun, I see a future for you, when your kids are all gone :)

Sarah said...

How awesome you get to be so involved with Braxton's class. Sounds like he has a great teacher.