Monday, November 14, 2011

I'm actually a parent

Braxton is home from school sick today. It was Jeff's call, not mine. Props to a good dad. The funny thing is that he doesn't act sick, at all. He has a cough. It sounds really nasty. I know it's not normal to have a nasty cough, but, there is no other symptoms. He doesn't even cough much during the day but he hacks at night. I think that whatever it is will be short lived and he will be happily back at school soon. On the other hand, it's been a really great day having him home and I know that even though he cried when I told him he was staying home, he's had a good day at home with us too.

The funny thing about this is that today the school called me to see where Braxton was and for the first time in my 6 years of being a mother, I actually felt like a real, legit, parent when I replied, "yes, I am keeping Braxton home today he has an awful cough."

Is that funny to anyone else? Like it finally hit me that I have the right and the responsibility to excuse my child from school when they are sick. That's like big people stuff right there. Maybe I'm crazy but this was just all really new and funny to me.

The happy part about all of this has been spending a Monday, like old times, me and my kids all at home. Reading books and magazines together. Painting with water colors together. Eating lunch, all together. Playing dress up. Tracing coloring pages. Emmett being a cute little pest. Adelle dancing like a rock star. Braxton annoyed that Emmett is a pest and that Adelle is playing on his bed and throwing his pillow off his bunk (like she does most days when he is at school he just doesn't know it!)

The sun is shining. The floors are swept. The kids are napping with the humidifier. Jeff is working hard and has a booked week (loud cheering!!)
and I am actually a parent!

2 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

that is too funny, I think brax is so funny cause he totally acts like you sometimes with his looks like "I am way too cool for both of you (adelle and emmett) but yet he is the best brother and so patient with them too.

Andrea said...

Yes Braxton I've heard has a lot of my same expressions. Jeff always says my looks say it all but I remind him that I'm nicer than my looks sometimes portray. I'm constantly reminded that I have some pretty harsh facial expressions. I will thank Dad for that.