Tuesday, May 3, 2011

thumb prints to the rescue

Thanks to my husband's family who lives out of town I am getting better about thinking of holidays and birthday's early on to get cards in the mail on time.
This week I've been thinking about Mother's Day.
I don't buy cards, typically I make them or I have my kids make them. This becomes challenging when you have multiple cards to send out. I want everyone to get special mail! It's so fun!
I have many wonderful women in my life, only one of which is my mother. I wanted to think of a way to show my appreciation to these aunts, grandma's, friends...as well as to my own mom and mother-in-law for Mother's Day.
I came up with this simple idea.
I got out the paint and I painted the little thumbs of my little ones
Then I had them press their thumbs on a piece of white card stock
First we all did red, then we all did yellow
That was it! It was easy and even Emmett was able to participate without painting the whole house.


After the kids went to bed I got out my black sharpie and drew on the thumb prints to create lady bugs and bees.
Get it, "lady bugs" for all the special "ladies" in our life.

That's it. I cut out enough for 12 cards from only 3 sheets of card-stock. I glued the white cutouts to orange card-stock and made sure they fit into the envelopes I already had.
Project accomplished.

I just realized that this same idea would be super cute next year for Easter. The thumb prints could be the eggs and you could draw a basket or just leave them in the grass....


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Super cute idea!!! I might have to use this idea for future cards!

Anonymous said...

So cute!!!

Joan said...

I love it! Especially that you used your kids' prints.

Marcy M Miller said...

Great Idea! I'm stealing the idea!

Batten Rouge said...

You are a genius! And Super Mom. Im beyond impressed by your skills.

April said...

What at a great idea, what kind of paint do you use?
April

Unknown said...

thanks, I am stealing that since I still don't have anything to send!
mimi

Andrea said...

April, I just use craft paint. I would have used a stamp pad but I didn't have the variety of colors.

amber york said...

Awwww! Super cute Andrea!