Saturday, May 7, 2011

"Oh, I just want my momma!"

The baby is napping. The boy is working in grandpa's yard with Grandpa. The husband is out running some errands. The sis is with her Grandma, Great Gramy, and aunties at brunch. The mom is resting. It's o.k for the mom to rest, really it is (I'm not telling you, just convincing myself).

I just finished reading "A Quiet Heart,"by Patricia Holland. You need to read it!! Honestly, this book is good for the soul. As I was reading it this past week I found myself marking all these scriptures and quotes and wanting to memorize the whole thing. I found this review online and thought I would share. I highly recommend this read, especially if you are a woman. She gets it!

A side note that I have to mention about this book is that it is written by the wife of Jeffrey R. Holland who is a member of the twelve apostles of our Church. The amazing thing about this is that the book was recommended to me by a wonderful Christian woman who is not of my same faith. I listened to this woman speak during a Christian mom's group that I attend and she stood up in front of the whole group and pushed this book. It was awesome to me!

One quote, from "A Quiet Heart", that rung true to me in my life and that I thought was fitting for Mother's Day tomorrow is as follows;
"...Sister Hinckley's response when someone asked her how she felt about being the wife of the newly ordained prophet. Stretching to her full four feet, eight inches of height, and with her big brown eyes opened wide, she said, "Oh, I just want my momma!""

It is true for me. I still need my momma.

Yesterday for example. I did not feel well. Braxton had had some snot all week but each time I asked him how he felt he said, "fine." He didn't act sick and so when others convinced me it was just allergies I just assumed it really was just allergies. Maybe it was. He really is fine. I, however, got the snots and with it came the sore throat and the awful sinus headache. No fun for this momma. My mom, in her wisdom, came over with my dad, hot, spicy, nose-clearing, soup in hand and invited the kids to come home with them and spend the night. This was a huge blessing/relief for all of us. The soup cleared out my sinuses and Jeff and I were able to relax without 2 of our little munchkins.

It never ceases to amaze me. This whole momma thing. Of all the people in the whole world, my mom always seems to know what it is that I need and the very moment that I need it. How does she do it? I'm so grateful for her mother's intuition and for the kind acts of service that I am constantly blessed by.

I'm also grateful for the phone conversation with my dad this morning;
My dad to me: "Do you know what Adelle wants first thing when she wakes up in the morning?"
Me: "Yep, she wants her milk and her momma."
Dad: "You're right."




5 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

LUCKY GIRL!

Sarah said...

There is nothing like your own mom. What a great plan.

I love that book by Patricia Holland, too. It is one that I can read and re-read.

Sarah said...

On a side note, we are moving back to the area. Do you know of any available rentals?

Doneva said...

I also NEED you, thanks for all your love and service, and what a privilege to be YOUR MOM,
Love you

Doneva said...

I keep saying 'Dull women never made history" I LOVE her just the way she is too and pray she never looses her self confidence, she rocks the world!!