Saturday, May 28, 2011

food blog

#1
#2

Most of you know that I have two passions, my family and healthy food.
This does not make me a "food snob," because I am not.
One of the best compliments I ever received was from a friend who told me that she loved going out to eat with me because I always order dessert.
I think that is another reason why I am passionate about eating healthy. It allows me the freedom to treat myself to dessert without ever feeling guilty.
I have never thought dessert was bad. I do feel strongly that it is a treat and not an everyday
necessity.
Enough of that.
Some of you have asked for pictures of the delicious healthy meals I have been eating since I have eliminated most starches from my diet.
*Because of this condition I have (rash) I have seen a nutritionist and been put on an elimination diet. This means no sugar, honey, potatoes, dairy, fruit, grains, soy, peanuts,.....DIFFICULT, but not depriving.*
So here you go.

Picture #1 is roasted vegetables. I love these because thy are easy to fix and the leftovers can be used in a variety of ways.
Oven 450 degrees. I put broccoli, carrots, cabbage, onion, garlic, zucchini, asparagus (but whatever you have) a little bit of olive oil and cooked for 40 minutes or so stirring once. Delicious hot out of the oven, delicious scrambled with eggs the next morning, delicious for lunch cold out of the fridge....endless possibilities with these babies. My friend Sarah suggested blending the leftovers in the blender with chicken stock to make soup but so far they all get eaten before they make it to soup. I will try that one day soon!

Picture #2 is roasted veggies with bell pepper that I did on the bar-b-q. Hamburger patty smothered with black bean salad.
For my black bean salad I soak black beans over night in my crock pot. Then give them a few rinses the next morning. Cover with about 5 inches fresh water and cook in crock pot on low for about 8 hours. Then I refrigerate them and add fresh cilantro, tomato, red onion, avocado and eat it all week. Delicious.
The other salad you see is what I call spring roll salad because it's everything I put in my spring rolls but I can't even have rice paper so the spring doesn't get rolled. It's cucumber, carrot, green onion, fresh mint, and Thai basil. All chopped up really small and mixed together. The longer this sits in your fridge the better it tastes.

There you have it.

Another couple standards that I've been sustaining myself on are:
salmon
hard boiled eggs
celery with almond butter
sunflower seeds
hummus and veggies
almonds

This is not a permanent thing. This is to cleanse my body and rid the toxins so I can fully heal and basically start over. I'd love to tell you more about it if you're interested. I really think everyone can benefit from this.
I FEEL AMAZING AGAIN!! I had forgotten what that felt like for a while.
They recommend doing it for 2-4 weeks. I'm pushing for 30 days but I do allow myself one day a week to bend the rules a little (or a lot if I am at a party or something). The first week I didn't bend at all but as I feel better I listen to my body and fluctuate a little. I'm on day 18 and going strong...

I would love to do a food blog one day but for now I will combine my passions here

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Awesome! I love roasted veggies.

Joan said...

Looks Yummy!