Monday, May 2, 2011

May Day

If you ask my Gramy my memory used to be really sharp. Apparently by age 3 I had everyone in the family's phone number memorized and could recite them on demand. Pretty impressive! My mom tells me that when her and I went to the grocery store she didn't have to make a list she just told me what she wanted and then when we got there I would list off the things we needed. That's ironic since now I make lists for everything! The sad thing is lately Jeff will reminisce about old times or say things that apparently I used to say, to make us laugh, and I have no idea what he's talking about. I look at him like he's a crazy person and he sighs as if to say, "are you kidding, you don't remember that??"

The exception of this lost talent is May Day 1995. I was in seventh grade. For some reason I think of it every May Day and it makes me feel happy. It was the day that Shelby and I went from being friends to being Best Friends. The decision was huge and important and apparently unforgettable. That day after softball practice the two of us walked around the field and confessed to each other the desire to be titled. If we were really going to make this decision, which we did, it was going to be forever.

At the time it meant if the coach said, "pick a partner" we were always ensured not to be left standing there alone. If there was anything dramatic going on at school we would tell each other first. We would keep secrets and pass notes. If we went to the mall to hang out one mom would drive and the other would pick up. We wouldn't go anywhere without the other. Best Friends don't leave each others sight except to sleep was our understanding.

Well, since then our life and our perspectives changed. We made other friends, just as Best! Shelby moved to another state in high-school, then I went away to college. Life happened and keeps happening and we are hours apart.

May Day will always bring me back to my childhood and this particular experience. I love my dear friend and more importantly I love that we were able to share childhood imaginations. You are only in middle school once and I'm glad we were there together. I'm also glad I don't have to do it again.


Yesterday's May Day was a beautiful warm, sunny day. We laid on a blanket in the backyard.

Ate chips and 7-layer bean dip for a late snack/dinner. We made up a song, something like; dip your chip, dip your chip if you grab a chip then dip...
The boys tossed the football and made up some sort of game where whoever throws the ball past the other person the most times wins.
Braxton changed his clothes like 3 times depending on what he was doing at the moment. It didn't phase me.
Emmett waited until I had eaten plenty of chips and dip and then sat on my belly and started jumping.
Adelle tried to sneak as many chips as she could without dipping, hence the chip and dip song. Feeding your child chips for dinner isn't as justifiable as feeding them chips and homemade bean dip for dinner.
These two played barefoot all afternoon.
Happy May Day!

4 comments:

Sarahbelle said...

Love your memory, so sweet. Love that you don't want to do middle school alone- who does? Eek, what a tough time but so wonderful meeting new friends. Looks like a wonderful May day evening with the kids. E looks like such a big boy these days. I laughed after you wrote on my blog- I was like WHO IS THIS? then I laughed that it was you, so relieved. Happy May, see you when I am home I hope!!!

Joan said...

What a great beginning to the month of May! It's too bad the weather is so erratic lately. I would love to have more days like May Day.

Peter and Lesha said...

oh so sweet, I love shelby

Anonymous said...

Love your fun memories Andrea! Happy belated may day, xo