Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Whats Cookin?

Quinoa (keen-wa)!
Yum!
This delicious food is packed with nutrients. I love it. Jeff....not such a fan. So, what do I do? Yep, buy a huge bag at Costco and determine myself to create delicious, healthy recipes that my family will enjoy.
Yesterday's recipe was a huge hit. I cooked up the quinoa with some chicken bullion. It's super fast to cook, only takes like 15 min. add one part quinoa to two parts water and boil, then cover and simmer until fluffy.
While that was doing it's thing I literally cleaned out our refrigerator. I chopped up some fresh spinach, some red bell pepper, and some olives and tossed them in once the quinoa was cooked. Then I minced a glove of garlic and tossed that in with about 1/2 cup of salsa. Added a can of black beans and a little lemon juice. Topped it off with avacado and minced chives. Jeff loved this salad! We ate it warm last night and then I had it cold today for lunch. It was so yummy. Quinoa is a grain, so it's loaded with fiber, but the bonus is that it has a ton of plant protein as well. It was so filling and satisfying.
Jeff went back for seconds. This made me so happy and convinced me that he wasn't just saying he liked it. He didn't think he liked quinoa...plus he doesn't like avacado (but he ate them both in the salad).
So try it! Have you noticed that when you eat good, you feel good....when you feel good, you act good...and when you act good.....well, that's just good!
I will post more delicious quinoa recipes once I make them up:)

7 comments:

Rach said...

I think some day, you and me need to cook together! I do the same thing with our quinoa but haven't tried salsa in there.think I'm making this tomorrw:) And I still love ur pumpkin curry recipe u shared! So keep it up and keep sharing ur recipes!

Vashti said...

I love quinoa too! It tastes really good just with tomatoes, parsely in a garlic vinagrette! I need to buy some more the next time I go shopping ;)

April said...

I have never tried quinoa but have wanted to, I have seen a few yummy recipes and I need to just get to the store and buy the stuff.
Thanks for the recipe.
April

Jena said...

My husband and I fell in love with Quinoa last year!! We ate it all the time, but I haven't made it in a while! Try the red and black quinoa, it looks fun and it has a little bit more crunch in a good way!

Black Family said...

oh i love quinoa! that looks like a good recipe too! hey thank you for your sweet comment on my blog too...

Peter and Lesha said...

can't say I will be trying that this week? I know you guys eat so healthy and you love all kinds of food and I need to broaden and expend my horizons, Peter would love it. Our dinner was so yummy though, thanks so much.

Sarahbelle said...

We make quinoa all the time, and I make a big pot usually so there is left overs. I use those left overs and add it to chicken salad! So good and filling! I will call you soon so we can come over and visit before I leave.