Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Huge Dilema

OK someone help me out with this one, please!

To give you some background I loved highschool. I know, you could have probably guessed, but I really loved every minute of it. I love people! I really feel like every person on this whole earth has something to give and I try hard to figure out what it is from everyone I meet. I knew so many people in highschool and learned so much from each of them. I can't believe it was 10 years ago already! Many of them I see, occasionally. Many of them I have not seen or even heard of since graduation. For some reason that bothers me.
Jeff used to tease me because when we lived in Utah and would visit home (here) I would always insist we go to Haggen. Why? Because I would always run into someone that I knew there and it would be a fun little reunion.
Are you catching my drift? This year would be my 10 year class reunion. However, the president of my class (supposedly the reunion coordinator) is nowhere to be found and has obviously no desire that a reunion even take place. I, on the other hand, feel it important to reconnect and get together with these people with whom were, at one point, a pretty important part of my life. Also, for some reason, I feel like people are counting on me to coordinate something. In recent conversations with friends I have heard things like, "you should do it," or, "we vote you."
What do I do?
First off, this is a pretty big deal and I know that it would require many many hours of energy to get going. I don't know if I have this kind of energy at the moment and I honestly am pretty choosy with the extra energy that I do have. Do I want to use it planning a reunion? Will it even be worth it?
Second, I do not have the money or the desire to put myself or my family out financially to reserve a place or assume people would pay me back. Some of my classmates, unfortunately, I don't think have changed much since high-school and I would probably never see the money.
Third, time is crunching in around me. This means a lot of work quick!
Fourth, and most importantly, I really think it should be done!
Fifth, I think Facebook is a lame substitution for a reunion and if you think you are really "connected" with all those people and don't need to actually "see" them, then you are way to tech-y!

So, who's with me?

My plan is to send an event invitation on Facebook (ok it's handy for some things) for a coordination committee meeting. If you want to be on the committee and get this thing going then show up and we can volunteer for duties and brainstorm when, where, how, this thing can happen!
Let me know if your in....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My class had a 10, which I didn't attend, and there was much complaining about. We didn't have a 20 because nobody planned one (we all thought the Senior class president was going to organize it again, and she didn't). So we decided to do a 25, and, about a year out, we put together a committee of people who were willing to put the thing together, and then they asked the people from the class that we had contact with for ideas about what to do, and help in finding people from the class. Then they waved a magic wand, and it all went perfectly from there. Or close enough from where I was sitting.

As I said, I didn't do the 10, but I think it might be tough to put together, because you have lots of young families and not a lot of folks with lots of spare time and money to put something together. I think it would be worth looking into, with an eye toward activities that will be fun, inexpensive, and don't take too much work. Things that are family-friendly in particular. For our 25, we had an adult-only get together at a hotel (I missed out when my car broke), participated in a parade (it was across the Independence Day weekend) and then had a barbecue.

FWIW. I could put you in contact with some of the folks on the committee.

April said...

You could always meet at a park and make it a potluck type of thing so you aren't spending any money.
April

CLS said...

I know of a handful of people who are also interested in planning a reunion (Jon, Angela...), ok a small handful. Also, I have seen Robin Laskey on Facebook, so to be fair, someone should contact him and ask if he is planning anything, and if not, then go for it!

Sarahbelle said...

Anj, I think you are brave to want to take on the task! I do think that you would end up having to put way too much energy and probably money into it, and there are always going to be people that complain even though they would be the last to help out! It would be great if there were at least a few people involved so the work and decision making could fall on more than you! Love that you trying!

Kelsey said...

Oh Andrea, I wish I was there to help!

I know with Brianne's reunion their president didn't plan it either and they ended up just doing a thing a park during the day and then those that wanted to met up for drinks later did. You should email brianne and see what they did cause I know she helped plan it.

Let me know if you don't have Brianne's email and I'll give it to you. Also, you should call Susan and Adrienne. :) And I could help too, like in contacting people.

Jessica said...

Our reunion was in three parts - a drink/club on Friday, an actual dinner on Sat night, and a family friendly potluck at Cornwall park on Sunday. I only went to the potluck and it was fun. If you do take it on - do something simple like a family friendly park potluck :) That's my two cents. IF you do Cornwall then the sprinklers are on = entertainment for those with kiddos :)

Peter and Lesha said...

you have to do it you will regret it if you don't and yes I know you loved high school:) just do something who was your prez anyway? one of those skater guys hu? um john or something?

Jayme said...

I was the head honcho on mine...not by choice :) It wasn't too bad. Facebook wasn't around, so finding people would be much easier now. Call if you have any questions.

Jeremy Saunders said...

what is up with the senior class presidents dropping the ball on the TEN? Mine totally dropped the ball, I was a little disappointed, but you know, in the end, it didn't matter, it's those who are in your life presently that matter most. I would simplify Andrea, April's idea is great. No stress!
mimi
PS you are right about one thing, people don't change much. I have a lot of FB friends from high school, and boy they have not changed!