Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pioneer Field Trip

Last Friday I got to go with Braxton's class on a field trip to a local park where they have Pioneer Days. There are old buildings that are fully furnished and the kids get to learn a bit about what it was like to live back in the day.


In the classroom.
I liked the classroom rules. There were only 3 of them:
1. Obey the teacher
2. Respect the classmates
3. Wash your face, hands, and feet upon entering the classroom.
So simple back then!


Here they are using the old ink pens. They also got to use feathers to write.


Grinding corn.


Pumping water from the well.


Making candles. 


Making cedar shake shingles for the roof.

It was a great time. At the end they sang songs and heard a true story about how our town was settled and named. Then the kids all got to eat fresh rolls that some of them had helped to make.
Braxton said his favorite part was cutting the wood for the cedar shake roof. 

4 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

HOw fun and what a cool experience!

Unknown said...

Pretty much exactly the same as when I did it, best field trip I ever went on!

Unknown said...

I totally remember doing that field trip. Did they get to make candles too? Glad they still do that, so much fun!

Andrea said...

Ryan! Your comment made my day! Thanks for reading my blog :)