Wednesday, September 19, 2012

"The Coolest Kid"

This picture was taken when Braxton was barely 3. We were on our way to cut down our Christmas tree. I love how he still looks just like that to me. Just a bit taller.

Braxton is really loving 1st grade. He loves being in the 1/2 split class and associating with some of the 2nd graders on a more regular basis. Braxton has always had a thing for older kids/adults. Maybe it's because he's the oldest... I don't know.
This morning when we walked Braxton to school the teacher asked me if he told me what another student said about him yesterday. I said no, Braxton had not mentioned anything to me. She proceeded to tell me that during carpet time the class was discussing words that started with the letter B. She said that they named some of the students and then went on to animals, objects... Well apparently Braxton's name didn't get mentioned as a B word. Then one of the students raised their hand and said, "we forgot Braxton! His name starts with a B and he is the coolest kid in the class!!" She said Braxton just sat there and beamed. I could see him in my mind as she was telling me about the experience. 

My heart has been beaming ever since. Not that being "the coolest" is the most important thing, but the fact that he is recognized by his classmates as cool. To me that means that if the students recognize him as cool then cool means; nice, considerate, fun.  Jeff has always said, "Brax is such a cool kid," and I've always agreed but more than that he is a good kid. He is a kind boy. He is considerate of others. He is not perfect, and he can be hotty, and lately a bit mouthy, but I know he makes good choices at school and I am thankful that whoever made that statement, made it, and that the teacher told me.

I know he's only in 1st grade and my parenting skills haven't even really been challenged thus far but aside from all of that I am glad that he is choosing right and still being "cool." ;)

2 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

love him! he does still look like that :) so cute, for sure Carson's idle!

Jessica said...

:) I love this!