Tuesday, December 13, 2011

It's the hap, happiest season of all





Christmas is in full swing around here which may be why my blogging has been a bit neglected. We are busily working on projects, baking cookies, singing carols and addressing cards. The tree is up. We got it early this season and that was such a relief. I feel really on the ball this year for Christmas. Usually I am running around like a chicken with my head cut off but this year the tasks are being checked off the list one by one and I am not a bit overwhelmed by any of it. That is a very merry feeling.

We went to one of the local tree farms that we found close to home and ran by one of Jeff's teachers from the high school. I love a Noble fir and that is exactly what we got for a mere $30. It is the perfect tree and Jeff and Braxton cut it down.

I got to decorate the tree with the kids this year solo. Jeff was busily finishing the bathroom tile while the kids and I trimmed the tree. That meant I had to do the lights, usually Jeff does the lights, and after using 4 strings I lit the whole tree.

I let the kids put the ornaments on the tree which is why all the sparkly red glitter balls that I made with my friend a few years back are all on one branch. It adds character. Adelle put them there and I think that is where they should stay. So they are.

I made our tree skirt this year (with the help of a friend and her awesome sewing machine!) and it is the perfect touch to our tree.

Jeff and I went to our first ever Ugly Sweater Party and it didn't disappoint. Check out Jeff's ugly sweater up above. That baby we picked up at Value Village. When we bought it had something crusted to the top, like whoever wore it last slopped their food, which made it all the uglier. Then when I washed it, it completely shrunk making it all the more funny looking when he put it on. It was a hit. My sweater on the other hand was mistaken by some to be "cute", which I continue to argue. Gold is NOT my color, as my honest mom pointed out to me, and the sweater had shoulder pads! I thought it was totally ugly!

Braxton is learning to sign a bunch of the Christmas songs at school and has a concert coming up this week which we are all looking forward too. Adelle came home from preschool today with homemade gifts that she created.
Emmett is still oblivious but he likes to sing jingle bells and dance around.

Last week after dinner we decided to have a family talent show. First Braxton sang Feliz Navidad and let me tell you that song says the same thing over, and over, and over. Next was Adelle singing Jingle Bells while shaking her hips. Jeff and I were last. We sang a duet you might recall, "Baby it's Cold Outside" after which Braxton flatly said, "well, that was weird." Still makes me laugh out loud the way he said that.

We did our Christmas countdown link again and this year Braxton and Adelle cut their own strips and taped them all together.
My homemade handprint wreath that took so much of my time last year is hanging with pride and I am so glad I stuck it out and kept cutting all those little fingers. I love this decoration.

Braxton came home with a book from school. It was titled Christmas Is...
Christmas is stockings.
Christmas is reindeer
Christmas is candy canes
Christmas is presents
Christmas is Santa
On the last page it said, "Christmas is __________________________________" and on the blank line my little boy wrote thinking about Jesus.

I am thankful that in a Happy Holiday world we are still a Merry Christmas family.

I am looking forward to Christmas break and spending lots of time with loved ones. Also excited about the girl my brother is bringing home at Christmas for all of us to meet :)

2 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

well we are a seasons greetings family (just look at our card) but we are still thankful for jesus :)

Jayme said...

cute picture of you and Jeff I would have never thought they were "ugly" sweaters just by looking at it. I loved Braxton's comment about your duet!