Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The gift of gift giving





Cheesy picture. I know.
This post is not about the picture, or the tree or my jeggings(which I am teased by my husband for calling, "spaglings" which I do because they just make me think "spandex!")
This post is about this book and other amazing gifts I have received from my mother-in-law over the years. She seriously has the gift of gift giving and I am so happy to be one of the recipients of her thoroughly thought out gifts.

The coat in the picture was a Christmas gift from my mother-in-law, Christmas 2008. I wear it every winter and it never gets old. A friend of mine recently told me that the first time she ever saw me I was wearing that coat at church. She said she looked at me and thought, "wow, what a beautiful coat. She must be rich." Her thoughts sum up how I feel when I put on this coat. I feel classy and elegant. It's a good feeling once in a while for a housewife ;) but it's not the reason why I really love this coat. I love it because it just looks like me, to me, if that makes sense. I love it because it's something I would have seen at the store and wanted, but never bought for myself. I love that it fits me perfectly and that she knew it would when she bought it. I love that about her gift giving skills. She is so good at it!

Other gifts I have received have been just as good. She bought me a pair of brown cords the first Christmas I was part of the family that are still a favorite. Can you imagine? She barely knew me. We didn't live in the same state. And yet she bought me a pair of pants that I liked and that fit me. My mom laughs because she can't even do that! I am a picky person to buy clothes for. Period.
One year she sent me lingerie for my birthday. You may laugh, but not me. It was just what I, I mean WE, needed at the time! Ha! In her wisdom she knew that we had been married for a little while, money was tight and lingerie is not something I would just go splurge on. So she sent me some new stuff.
There was also a time when she sent me a VISA gift card with a note explaining that I knew better than she did what I needed at the time. She wanted to help and she did, in the perfect way.
I could go on and on. Art for my walls. Nick-nacks for my shelves. Other books. Her gifts are not all the same but they are all for me, specifically and I love that about them. Always my color, my size, my style, to match my bedroom....I am trying to develop this talent but I think it is a real gift that she has been given.

This year I received the book Lost December, by Richard Paul Evans, which I just finished reading. Yep, it took me 2 days, which is unlike my usual 30 days to finish a book and... I didn't even ignore my family to get it read. I knew I would like it the minute I opened it Christmas morning. I knew that it would fit me and it totally did. It was beautifully written and touched my heart from multiple angles. Read it! If you want.

I love opening thoughtful gifts from this special lady. They never disappoint and to be honest.... I can't wait for my birthday!!! (no pressure:)

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I got that book this year too! I read it in one night. It was so good, I couldn't put it down. Makes you think.

Doneva said...

YOU are BLESSED and yes Rhonda is a wonderful, thoughtful person and especially Mother-in-Law, I do think it is a God given gift, cause your dad is really good at gift-giving too, that is a sweet post and what a great compliment to everyone that has the Gift-giving-GIFT!!!!!

Kristin said...

This is so true about Aunt Rhonda. I can remember two gifts she got me (2 separate years). They were both dresses. The first was so cute and so special-occasiony and I had nothing like it. The second was a dress that looked so similar to a dress that my friend had that I was coveting. She is amazing.