Saturday, January 1, 2011

I heart eggnog & squash

Thanks Auntie Melissa for the fun heart pancake mold thingies

We got sent home with some eggnog on Christmas.
I heart eggnog, so does the fam.
I heart feeding my family healthy.
Eggnog is not healthy in abundance.....but in moderation, maybe?
We had a whole big bowl of leftover squash in our fridge that my kids (and husband) decided they didn't like.
I heart squash.
Squash is healthy.
So, what do I do....
Mix up the squash with some brown rice flour and some whole wheat flour,
add a little baking powder and soda,
some salt, vanilla, oil,
add eggnog to get it to pancake consistency.
What happens next is pure bliss for me.
My whole family (who doesn't like squash remember) cleaning up all the pancakes and wanting more!
This is so satisfying to me. Sure, I could have poured us each a glass of eggnog and threw out the squash. That would have made the fam happy. But the family was just as happy with like 1/4 of the eggnog and the whole bowl of squash.
So the breakfast was filled with fiber, vitamin A, iron, protein....
and it was enjoyed by all.
Happy heart for this momma





3 comments:

Doneva said...

YUM!! You need to move back home with your mom and dad and cook for us, those sound and look delicious, you are a great mom and a great cook and so creative, THATS what I love about you, plus so many more things, HAPPY HEALTHY NEW YEAR!!

April said...

Wow, good job Andrea. I wish I was more like you in this area. You are a very good mommy, your family is lucky to have you.
April

Jeremy Saunders said...

you are amazing! I could never come up with that on my own without a recipe! I too have been slacking in the healthy eating department. I need some motivation! Keep up the motivation. And I spent four hours today simplifying ie dejunking our entire downstairs. Tomorrow I may find time to dejunk the upstairs. We collect too much junk!
m