Friday, January 21, 2011

extreme Portland makeover

Andrea Plain and Short (remember "Sarah Plain and Tall"?)

Shelby, Andrea, Mindi
Andrea meets Make-up

Andrea gets primped up by wonderful friends
I've started this post like 500 times, then quit, and restarted because
1: It makes me cry every time
2: I don't know how to fully express what I feel...there is so much

Last Saturday these ladies and I spent the day/night together in Portland doing girl stuff! I love being a girl and being with girls who I love. It was so refreshing and wonderful.
Wonderful because I made a decision just for me. This is uncommon for any mom, and really uncommon for me. Every decision I make is based around my husband/kids, and rightfully so. That is why they are awesome (I don't take credit for my husband being awesome, his parents deserve that credit!). But my kids, really, I do sacrifice a lot for them but it's completely worth it because they are great kids and I can see my efforts really sustaining them and enabling them to thrive and live happy lives. So I don't have any complaints about putting them first. However, I was feeling a little burnt out and when the invitation came for me to get away for a night with some special friends, I jumped for joy. Jeff jumped for joy as well, which told me that he too was feeling that I needed something and I think he probably thought something like, "do anything, just come back happy and yourself again!!" Also my amazing parents, aunt, and Grammy, must have known I needed to go as well as they all came over prior to my departure with early birthday money for me to be able to use for travel expenses, shopping....
So basically it was apparent to many that I needed something and they must have been hoping that this was going to be the fix-all.
So I went and was totally spoiled. Mindi and Shelby have been my best girl friends since high-school and continue to be such great friends. We don't see each other often, like only a couple times a year, but when we are back in touch we pick up just where we left off and it's so fun to grow old with people who share so much of your past. These girls have always been there for me and we have so many fun memories together. I love them like family and it was so fun to be together and catch up on life. Mindi was all about taking care of us and making sure that Shelby had the best birthday and that I didn't have to worry about anything. She painted my fingernails, curled both of our hair, put on my makeup, she even carried my wallet in her purse so that I wouldn't have to carry anything. It was so nice.
We talked and talked and talked and laughed and laughed and laughed. We shopped, ate out, went to fancy Portland touristy places, slept in, ordered room service...it was wonderful. My family had fun without me too. Jeff is super-dad and had everything under control. I know I was able to enjoy myself and actually rest and relax because I didn't worry about my family at all. I knew they were well taken care of and I knew they were getting special time with dad.
I also had a realization while I was gone. The fact that I needed a breather doesn't classify me as an incapable mom. I've always had this misconception that those who need/take breaks are weak or selfish. How wrong of me to pass that judgement and how wise of me to realize that I needed something and to take care of it before the problems magnified. I was able to get away, re-vamp, and come back thankful and ready for the next obstacle. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life and so much support.
Here is what my husband said to me when I came home;
"See ya later, my turn, I'm so tired..."
"That's crazy, I get breakfast going, then clean it up, then it's time for lunch, then clean it up....on top of playing, reading, changing diapers, taking Adelle potty, problem solving...I don't know how you do it all and nurse the baby too??!!"
"You don't have to wear makeup to look good."

So, here I am. Back to my plain, happy self and living my very full, blessed life. Exactly where I want to be.




`

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anj! You look HOT! You are the best mom and so beautiful. I love you so much!

Jessica said...

Um....so you are gorgeous(1)!! (2) Breaks from children are not only good for you they are necessary. You work hard everyday and every good job has a good vacation plan.And realizing you need a break makes you the best mom in the world! One night a year is more than ok. I hope you got a breather and came back feeling refreshed and even more blessed by your little family who I know adores you. Plus everyone knows when moms away daddy makes everything super fun and spoils the kids to bits. Its good for everyone:)


Love ya girl and you are gorgeous with or with out makeup .(period)

Black Family said...

you can't take water from an empty well....so why am I not filling up my well? I count basketball last week....:)....it did really help a lot. Hopefully I was not too annoying....sometimes I just say things... and well I don't think first....like "this is lame-o"....yah wish i would of held that one in....anyways....you always steal the words out of my mouth with many of your posts. I am so excited to play again this next week....it was so fun to hang out finally:)!

Peter and Lesha said...

that was great, I feel bad I totally forgot to ask you about the trip, I am glad you enjoyed it. I love those girls too they are so sweet and they have been there for you and you for them. Glad you got a break. Glad that Jeff realized how great you are, I didn't see him at church so he must have not gotten everyone out the door:)

Batten Rouge said...

Oh Anj you are so beautiful inside & out!! I am so glad that you got away from the "norm" and had some time for yourself. Even those of us without kids need that every once in a while! Im sorry that I missed it but it looks like you gals had a great time. Love you!

Anonymous said...

Anj...I just saw this post! I love the pictures :) you are gorgeous! I loved getting to pamper you and Shelby that weekend. Thanks for being such a sweet and dear friend..love you!