Thursday, January 27, 2011

Gentlemen

I thought this picture illustrated my point quite perfectly. The "woman" sitting on top of the "man." Kate had the whole floor, even the whole house, but decided to park it right on Emmett!

So the other day we drove up to Squamish, BC, to watch my brother dominate the basketball court. After a really exciting game (they lost by 1) we all went to dinner at one of Bryce's favorite local spots. By all, I mean the five of us, my parents, my sister and her kids, my aunt and my gramy. Oh, and my brother was there too. So we all sitting there, the kids are cooperating and we're having a good time when Adelle decides she wants to sit by Uncle Bryce. "I want to sit by Uncle Bryce," she said, a little too whiny. Well both seats next to Uncle Bryce were taken so Bryce thoughtfully told Adelle she could come sit on his lap. "No, I want to sit NEXT to Uncle Bryce!" she said this time with a little more urgency and on the verge of doing whatever it would take for her to get her way. As if the tone of her voice wasn't enough my darling two year old got down from her current chair and walked over to make it clear where she wanted to sit. Once planted there she repeated herself, this time I knew that if she didn't get what she wanted there would be a scene and I really didn't want to draw more attention to our table of 15 then there already was. Seeing her standing there and hearing her desire, her kind brother quietly got up and politely said, "here Adelle, you can sit here." It was right next to Bryce. The very seat she longed for. So what does she do? Sits right down, grins from ear to ear and enjoys her chicken and fries.
This was entertaining for most people there. It was heart wrenching for me to witness my five year old son, yet again, looking out for the needs of his kid sister. Not to mention saving me from what could have been really embarrassing. Once again putting himself second and her first. My brother, the youngest in the family I might add, thought this whole situation was a joke. "Is this when it starts?" he asked, implying that women always get their way. Judging from the picture up top, I think it starts earlier than 2!