Monday, January 17, 2011

one year ago...

This picture was taken a year ago right before my mom took the kids to her house while I delivered Emmett.
I can't believe how much this little miracle boy has changed our family.

I used to say I wanted to defy the rules of birth order and I wanted all of my children to grow up as if they were the first born, the only. Then, I rationalized, they would each know they were the best and they would each get all the love and attention they needed. They wouldn't feel second best, or third best or have to compete for anything....
I don't think that way anymore. I only have one first born, and he is special and he was the only. He is the best Braxton!
I have a second child, currently mastering the role of "middle child" and she is special too. She is the only girl. The sis.
She is the best Adelle!
And I have the third child. He wasn't the first born, or the first boy, but he is the best! The best Emmett! He brings me so much peace and joy and when I think of him I think of the calm after the storm. This boy is so full of love. He is happy all the time and he smiles regardless if he's being played with, talked too, stepped on, tripped over....he is always happy, never complaining about anything.

Emmett is my little shadow. He follows me everywhere and it's my favorite thing.
When the other kids are busy playing, forgetting about me, he is right there in my arms or at my feet.
When I talk to Emmett he makes me feel like the most important person in the whole world. He literally beams. When I sing to him he smiles and in his own little way begs for more.
I am so thankful he is third. He is so lucky to be loved by not only me and Jeff but also Braxton and Adelle. They are so good to him and he is so lucky to get to play with all their toys, go to all their fun parties, read all their fun books...! He loves to be in their room with them just "hangin' with the big kids."
Happy Birthday Emmett
You have been the best little "surprise!!"


10 comments:

Jessica said...

Happy Birthday Emmett!! I can't believe its been a year. You have a beautiful Mothers Heart Andrea. Isn't it amazing that God makes your heart big enough for them each to carry a piece:)

Peter and Lesha said...

YOU SO WERE NOT PREGOS IN THAT FIRST PICTURE NICE TRY THOUGH. i CAN'T BELIEVE HE IS ONE, HE IS THE BEST EMMETT WE LOVE YOU HAPPY BIRTHDAY

EAMartinson said...

I can't believe he is a year old already...is it just me or did this year fly by? He is so stinkin cute!

Aunt Angela said...

Happy Birthday Emmett.
Can't believe it's been a year.I love you

April said...

Very sweet.

Anonymous said...

1 year old! Happy birthday Emmett! I agree with Lesha, you do not look pregs in the first picture!

Doneva said...

Yes Emmett Douglas you are the sweetest thing ever!! You are Umpa;s clone, so meek, mild, kind, loving, easy going, easy to please and happy all the time, what a blessing you are in all of our lifes, love Bama

Jeremy Saunders said...

Happy Birthday to Emmett! He has grown so much! I too love my third child,maybe it's a third child thing, but she is also my easy going, friend of mine who is always looking to be my friend and help me out. Maybe because she got so much love from the four of us when she was born. Great post!
mimi

Jayme said...

Happy Birthday Emmett. Such a cute little guy.

Me and My Boys said...

I can't believe he is so big and grown up, it's amazing how fast they grow the 1st year. Seriously the cutest little kids ever.