Monday, September 9, 2013

Kindergarten Girl


Last Friday was Adelle's Kindergarten Orientation. Together her and I got to go into her classroom, meet her teacher, and spend the morning learning about the kindergarten routine. Adelle was excited to go. On the way there she asked me if she had to keep her shoes on during the whole school day? My girl loves to be barefoot!
Mrs. Hunter is Adelle's teacher. I will be referring to her as "hippie hunter" on this blog. I also refer to her as "hippie hunter" to my husband (because I love to make him laugh)  but not in front of my parrot children. Ever! I love hippies so I think Mrs. Hunter is a good fit for Adelle ;)
Mrs. Hunter likes to use sign language instead of words when she can. She taught us all the signs for; using the bathroom, getting a drink, being done with what your working on, yes, no... This should be really interesting for Adelle who likes to talk, a lot. We will see how this goes. Adelle was teaching Braxton the signs today after school so I think she is into it for now.
Mrs. Hunter likes to play music in her class and dance with her kids. This is right up Adelle's alley once she is in her comfort zone. Mrs. Hunter teaches the kids breathing techniques for handling stress and each table has a lavender ball to be squished when needed. I told you she is "hippie hunter!" I want to be in her class!! Ha!

Today was the official first full day. She was so ready. She wore her cute new corduroy dress that her friend, Gabby, gave her. It was darling on her but the morning was foggy so the sweatshirt is hiding it a bit. 
I made Apple Pancakes for breakfast in school spirit and read the kids "The Kissing Hand," by Audrey Penn. We were kissing hands all morning. Adelle requested I put her hair in pigtails with her barrette on the side. Too cute. 


This morning when we got to the school she started to just get out of the car. I was like, "Adelle, I am going to walk you to class," and she was like, "why? I know where my class is." Funny girl. Never would have known that less than a month ago she didn't even want to go! Hippie Hunter was excited to see us and Adelle found her name and checked herself in. She found her seat at her table and got busy making designs out of the colored wooden shapes. I asked her if it was okay if I left and she stayed at school and she said yes. That's when I kissed her goodbye and got all choked up. I held it together well but it was just that initail, "yeah, I'm fine without you," that always throws me off.... in a good way, though.


Braxton was very sneaky and wrote a note for Adelle this morning to stick in her lunchbox. I thought it was so sweet especially the part about telling him how she feels. 

When I picked up Braxton and Adelle they were basically hand in hand. Braxton said it was his best day of school he's ever had and when I asked why he said, "because Adelle was there!" It was the cutest thing. 
Adelle had a fun day. She's a natural. She liked recess the best and kept her shoes on all day (did you notice her socks in the picture). Adelle said she ate lunch with people she didn't know but she said it was fine. She came home singing the songs she learned in class today and she was excited to tell us that she saw the principal two times and she gave him his secret wave and he waved back. 
The principal of this school is incredible. Like super hands on, happy, fun, enthusiastic. He has this secret wave that he showed all the kids and Braxton taught it to Adelle before the Kindergartners even started school so she was all excited to use it today and for him to respond. 

There is something else really special about Adelle's class. Mrs. Hunter was good friends with Tom Hunter. Tom Hunter was a local musician who wrote and performed songs for kids and also a personal friend.
When I was in Kindergarten Tom Hunter came into my class and helped us write our own song. Our song was about banana slugs and I still remember writing and singing that song. I later became friends with his daughter and he continued to be a positive influence in our community. He passed away too young a few years ago and it was sad to me that my kids wouldn't get to see him sing and play his guitar. When I heard Mrs. Hunter play his music during Adelle's class it made me so happy.
When it is time to go to carpet this song comes on.  Listen to it if you have two minutes. It's just the nicest song ever and I love that Adelle was singing it all afternoon today after school.  I love that when I was in Kindergarten I was blessed with good music by such a good man and now Adelle is, in a way, getting that same experience. Music is so important.

I asked Adelle if she was going back to school tomorrow and she said yes so we are in good shape.




5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahaha sounds like a teacher right up your alley alright. I'm glad she's excited to go to school! I loved Braxton's letter to her...he is such a sweetheart.

Batten Rouge said...

I want to be in that class too! Hippie Hunter, I love it!

Irene Hunter said...

Hi Andrea! Jama just told me about your blog, I love it! I love that you put my dad's song on here too, I haven't heard that in forever & I love to hear that teachers are playing it in their classrooms--so cool. Your kids are absolutely beautiful! So are you, as always--you are one incredible mama. *Hugs*

Andrea said...

Irene,
Hi! Thanks so much for commenting. I have been thinking of you during this whole experience listening to your dad's music. He was so talented. It makes me so happy too that teachers play his music to their classes.
Good to hear from you I hope you are well!
Love,
Andrea

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.