Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Recent Reads

This month has been one of heavy reading around these parts. I love to read but for the last few years since having kids, reading for leisure has taken the back burner. I did it, once in a while, but not regularly. That has changed. This month I read two books, just for me! I am really going to try and keep this up and I would love to hear good book recommendations.

The first book I read was The Leisure Seeker , by Michael Zandoorian. I found this book at the book store on a date with my husband and came home and reserved it from the library. I loved the story line. An elderly couple who go on vacation; basically run away from their ailments and ignore their doctors and kids orders. This couple is old and one has cancer and one has Alzheimer. It's a good, reminiscent read. I liked how this book was written. It made me think and evaluate and appreciate marriage.
I did not like the end of this book and so I don't know if I would recommend this one or not. 

The second book I read was Signs of Life , by Natalie Taylor. I loved this book!! This book is a memoir that a woman writes after the loss of her husband and the birth of her first child.  I found it extremely inspiring and entertaining. I found myself relating to the author on multiple levels and it felt really good. I laughed out loud and cried on many pages of this book. Sometimes her language is a little foul but it's not extensive.This book is a must read for any woman, in my opinion. This lady gets it.

I would recommend both of these books. Please share your favorite reads I am looking for a February "Me" book.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Edenbrooke! It's by an LDS author set back in the 1800's or so. It's one of the cutest, funniest, most wholesome books I've ever read. I won't give away what it's about, but it follows a 'spunky' young woman who has always felt inferior but she's starting to see that she doesn't have to be. It's a 'love story' with a message. They actually have a copy at our library which surprised me. It's very cute and not stressful or full of vulgar language or suggestive stuff.
The first time I actually listened to it and the first chapter or two was a little silly (mostly because they had someone reading it in a fake accent), but after just a chapter or two I got really into it.

Andrea said...

Amanda,
I'm so glad you posted this! I have that book!! A year ago or so my mother in law gave me a gift card to Deseret and after reading a bunch of reviews I bought Edenbrooke. But I completely forgot about it until now. I just found it on my shelf. I will start it tonight. Thanks!!!

Sarah said...

I've heard good things about Edenbrooke, too, but I haven't read it yet.

A memoir I really liked was Three Weeks with My Brother by Nicholas Sparks. It is about his life growing up, his family, and a three-week trip around the world he takes with his brother. He is no stranger to loss, which is probably why he does such a great job writing all those romantic books -- The Notebook, Message in a Bottle, A Walk to Remember, etc.

I recently read Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It is historical fiction, which I don't read a lot, but I thought it was very well written and I really enjoyed it. It is a love story that takes place during WWII when the US government sent Japanese Americans to internment camps because they were afraid they may be spies. It is set in Seattle (where the author is from), so it brought everything closer to home. It was incredible to me that something like that happened not too long ago.

A book I am reading right now is called The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. It is about a woman's year-long goal to be happier and how she goes about it. A lot of people like it. I'm undecided, but I am still reading. :)

Anyway, I hope one of those sounds appealing. :)

Andrea said...

Thanks Sarah I haven't heard of any of those. They all sound good!

Rachel Ashmore said...

My all-time favorite book is "These Is My Words." It's based on the family memoirs of a real-life woman who settled Arizona in the early 1900's. It made me laugh out loud and cry through the entire thing. It's well written and I can see you really enjoying it. Read it.

Another one that I loved was "The Book Thief." It is a BEAUTIFULLY written book.

I read "Edenbrooke" with my book club, and I'm curious to hear what you think about it. I'll tell you my opinion when you're finished.

Andrea said...

Rachel,
Now I am more intrigued about Edenbrooke and I had another friend recommend The Book Thief a while back and I couldn't get into it. Maybe I need to give it another chance.
I am going to be busy! I will put These Is My Words on my list. Thanks!

Also to everyone I did not at all like the ending to Leisure Seeker and I don't know if I would recommend that book. I re-read my post on it and didn't think I made that very clear so I edited it. The book was something interesting but not a recommendation.

Bham2Sisters said...

I fell in love with Edenbrooke as well. The Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Pie Society is also high up there.

mimi