Tuesday, January 8, 2013

2013 in a week

DSC05804
I am tired. It’s nine o’clock. Jeff is working. I want to read my scriptures. I want to read my book. I want to finish the laundry. I want to go to bed. I want to blog…. I guess that’s what I will do, along with eat my nine o’clock snack of half a roasted acorn squash with a lot of melted butter. yum. Yes. Good choice. It’s hitting the spot. The tension in my neck is subsiding as I sit here with my warm snack.
DSC05779DSC05785DSC05774
After I put the big kids to bed, early, this little friend wanted all the love. We sang, he sings too. We rocked each other. I was rocking him at the same time he was rocking me. We needed it. I tried to lay him down but he protested so I picked him back up. I told my mom other day about the good team that Gage and I are. I take care of him, he takes care of me. It works, well. I love this babe. Just when I think I don’t have any more to give he smiles and tells me how much he loves me with his coos and awes and my perspective changes. I am his number one gal and that’s a blessed thing to be.
Did I mention that I am also listening to Adele radio on Pandora. My favorite. Another reason why this whole nine o’clock thing is so wonderful right now. And while I’m on the topic of music my husband and I have a theme song going on. You can listen to it here. It’s beautiful and really hits home as of late. There’s a lot going on around here, and it’s all good, mostly, but man, it’s a lot.  We are growing. Growing as individuals. Growing as a couple. Growing as parents. Growing as business owners. Growing as friends. Growing in humility…

DSC05796DSC05797DSC05800DSC05801DSC05798
The cousins were over today which made it double the fun. My house was destroyed within minutes, just the way we like it lately ;). The kids all decided to get all the toys out, decorate our whole house with them, and then get their faces painted and not play with any of them. Good thing they were there though, all over the house, so that they could trip over them while they were chasing each other around. I love all these kids. They are so fun and they love each other so much. And the toys get picked up, they always do.
DSC05759DSC05760DSC05761DSC05763
Jeff’s brother moved to town. He hangs out here a bit cooking me dinner and things of the sort. : 0. He served a mission in Japan, same as Jeff, so last week they made us homemade gyoza. It was scrumptious.  For someone who loves to cook, I also love to be cooked for. Lane is awesome and so fun to have around. Those Ashmore boys men are really something.
DSC05766DSC05767DSC05768
The mornings this year look something like this. My helping hands are increasing. Gage likes to get in on the action now too. Loving my mobi that my BFF made me for Emmett. It really does pay off to keep things in bins in the garage…. as long as you remember to go searching for them when you need them.
DSC05794DSC05795
Last night for FHE we buried a time capsule. It was really fun and the kids thought it was the most exciting thing in the world. We filled out papers with info. about ourselves. Our height, weight, favorites… and then we ended with goals for the year. Each of the kids wrote their own, the best they could. Jeff and I did it too. He weighs more than me again, fyi. This isn’t always the case. Then we went out in the dark back yard, flashlights in hand, dug a hole and buried our “treasure” until next year. It was fun. My goals for the year are: teach Braxton and Adelle each to play one song of their choice on the piano, start the book I have been wanting to write, read a book a month, do pushups (not every day but when I am up for it).
Have I mentioned that I love this year so far? It’s so good. On Sunday during testimony meeting a wise woman who I really love said something that hit me. She said something to the effect of, you don’t have to wait for a new year, new month, new job…. You can be better now. Every day, every minute, you can be better. I knew that. But I am glad she reminded me. It’s good to try and be better. It’s ok to not have it all down yet as long as you are trying. And if you mess up, it’s ok. I am telling myself this, not you.
So cheers to you. It’s going to be a good year.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I LOVE the idea of a time capsule for FHE, we have been wanting to do a YW for awhile now just haven't gotten around to it.
On Sunday everyone was talking about having a clean slate. In YW we go around the room and say something that we got from sacrament meeting and when it got to me all I could think was, each day is a clean slate, each hour, each minute. We can make mistakes and immediately change our ways if we really want to. Doing something you want to do doesn't need to wait until the New Year or even the elusive 'next Monday'. Anyways :)

How fun writing a book!! What kind?

PS Mindy Gledhill Pandora is awesome too :)

Kelsey said...

That Gage is just adorable! And I just love how all it takes is a smile from a baby and it is all worth it.

Glad you are surviving 4 kids. If I ever get there I'll call you, you seem to have the perspective about it all. :)

Jayme said...

Cute family picture with your blog title. Your kids are so cute. I must admit you are amazing at painting faces :)