Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Best Gift Ever

The thought of blogging about Christmas is overwhelming to me still so I am doing it little by little. There is a lot to say and show though and today when Braxton went back to school it was bitter sweet.

This year for Christmas I didn't really want anything. My brother had my name and kept asking me for ideas and I kept telling him the same thing. So that's what I got. He was bored with it but it was a book I have wanted and now I have it. Perfect.

When my sister-in-law asked me what I wanted I told her one thing. And that's what I got. A super cute, chocolate brown, knitted headband, head warmer thing, with a flower. I love it.

So when Jeff asked what I wanted I couldn't think of anything. I knew I wanted a warm thing for my head and I knew I wanted the book, and other than that..... I didn't really know.

Then I remembered what I have always wanted and never had...

A felt board!!

Yep, for the past 6 years when I take my kids to storytime at the local library they do stories on the felt board and the kids love it, it's really interactive, and I've always wanted one so that I could do that in my living room.

So I told Jeff what I wanted. A felt board. And whoa, did he grant the wish way beyond what I expected. This thing won't fall down, and you can have different scenes.

First of all he took the easel that we already had and stapled felt to the chalk board side. Score. We never have used this side anyway, it makes a huge mess and chalk is for outside in my book.
So above you have day sky and green ground for stories.
 Or, you can flip down the black sky for night time stories or outer space stories, lessons.
 Then you can flip up the blue piece for water. Here is where we tell stories to our kids about skinny dipping in the dark. (ha, not really but you can see the water and the night sky).

And here is the water with the blue sky for the stories that we do about sunny days in the water fishing, or whatever.

So there you have it. My felt board which I love and then he had the kids each pick out a story that he bought all the felt pieces too so we have 3 stories that we can do and mix up, plus we have the letters of the alphabet to do different word games. Tonight each of the kids told a story and then Braxton led us in a game of hangman on the felt board. So fun!!

I love this special gift. It's just perfect.

And I don't think I ever would have thought that at 30 I would be asking for a felt board for Christmas. Funny.