Tuesday, May 1, 2012

"Amen"

Yesterday morning started at 6:30am when the alarm clock rang. There was no ignoring it. No turning over. No snuggling. It was time to get up. My brother, and Jeff's new "employee" would be at our house in 15 minutes and we had a lot to do before then.
Jeff and I jumped up (well, that is an exaggeration) and out of bed. I hit the kitchen and started boiling water for poached eggs. Jeff got our toothbrushes ready and got himself dressed. Mid breakfast our unlocked door opens and in steps my brother. He's ready. We aren't quite. Meanwhile Braxton wakes up and starts working on some homework. I grab some stuff for Jeff's lunch and fill his water bottle. He grabs his big black book with all the important stuff and kisses me goodbye. Wow. All in a matter of about 20 minutes.
Adelle wakes up next and then Emmett. We all sit on the couch for a few minutes under the blanket until the heat finally fills the room and we can get up and start moving. Braxton and Adelle make their own toast, something they pride themselves on lately, and they make one for Emmett. We all eat together and talk about the day. Then we all get dressed and ready.
I am always the last one ready. I like to hang out and be comfy and get everyone else ready and then, go get ready. But it works, it takes me about 5 minutes. The kids are all looking for rain boots out in the garage, I grab my bag and cell phone and start walking towards the door only to realize that I hadn't said my morning prayers. I usually kneel right on my bed before I get out of it but this morning that did not happen. I was in too much of a hurry. So I stopped in my tracks and knelt.
I started to pray outloud and thank Heavenly Father for my blessings. In the background I heard the garage door open and all of my kids stepped inside and around the corner where they saw me, praying. The noise stopped. It was silent, except for my voice of course. I continued with my prayer and thanked Heavenly Father for each of my children, individually. I thanked Him for my good husband and for how hard he works for me and our family. I went on and on and when I was done I said Amen, only to hear 3 other little voices whisper "Amen." I looked up to see all 3 of my kids standing, in a row, arms folded in prayer. It was one of those moments that I want to seal up forever.
It made me grateful for the time I took to do such a simple gesture. I have forgotten to pray in my bed before and have settled for a silent prayer in the car on my way out or and afternoon prayer while my kids are asleep. But for some reason, yesterday, I stopped and prayed out loud, for all in the house to see, and I think we were all blessed because of it. I love my little ones so much. They are so reverent and meek and I am so happy that they heard me thanking my Heavenly Father for them.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

These are some of the tiny gifts we get when we are a mother to show how God is using us in our children's lives!

You are an amazing Mama!

Jayme said...

Andrea I bet your kids will share that someday whether it be in primary or when they are in Relief Society or Elder's Quorum about how important it is to stop and pray and how they remember their mom kneeling in prayer one morning before they walked to school. I love it when our kids "catch us" doing good things :)

MAUIGOOSE said...

you make me cry! moments like those are treasures