Monday, February 20, 2012

N-O N-A-P



I have a boy who thinks he is too big for his britches lately. It's funny to parent. I am enjoying it.

He napped until he started Kindergarten this last fall. We started doing about every other day through the summer to prepare his body for when he started school and would not get a nap.

Well since starting school he has determined that he no longer needs a nap. Ever. Not on the weekends, nothing. That is fine, most of time.

He is also really into spelling and thinking he is so much bigger than his siblings. If there is ever a weekend or holiday and I am putting the other kids down for nap he will spell to me; as if to ensure that Adelle and Emmett won't catch on. It's the same every time. We will be eating lunch and he will say to me, "mom, N - O N - A - P." Spelling out the letters.
I respond with either Y - E - S or N - O.

Well today I was feeling lousy with a cold I caught and so I knew I was napping. I had gotten out of bed waiting for nap time. But that didn't mean he had too. I crawled into bed with M and A and Braxton got busy working on some drawing/writing projects. When Adelle woke up I woke up but I laid there to not wake up Emmett. Adelle ran out and I was listening for her to talk to Brax and nothing. Pretty soon Emmett woke up so we all came out to find Braxton zonked out on the couch. It was pretty cute. I had a snap a picture to document. Even Mr. Kindergarten, No Nap, Speller Man, gets tired I guess.

I know, I know, I am always analyzing but here I go again. I just really like that he is practicing his independence. I also like how he knew to listen to his body and take advantage of a quiet moment to catch some zzzzz's. I like that he is growing up and what he is growing up to be.

1 comment:

Marcy M Miller said...

Wow, you are lucky he napped for that long. My kids stop at about 3 years old.