Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Dear M,

Dear Emmett,

You are old now and absolutely brilliant. I always knew you would be successful. I marvel at your handsome characteristics and how many of them you have had since you were able to reach out and grab. You have always been a man of order. When I pick you up from play dates you are always the first to clean up. When the play room is dirty you are always the one putting away. Everything has a place and I always know I can count on you to clean up and put things back. You have always been that way and it's been nice to have one of you around to help me clean up after the rest of them:)

I am glad that you no longer like to prance around in women's heels, although when I listen closely I can still hear you trampling down the hall in a pair of my most favorite. You came up with this one on your own but it always made for a good laugh. You are coordinated, that's for sure. Sometimes I feel like you can manage in those suckers better than I can.

Remember that one time back in 2011? You were 1 1/2 and I was 29 and we both woke up one Sunday morning feeling like crumb balls! I decided to fake it and put on a smile, you decided to cling to me without letting go, and cry and whine until I finally gave in and decided we were both staying home from church. You were happy after that. I was happy too. We sat on the couch and snuggled together. We read lots of books, most of them over and over and over. You said Moo every time there was a pig and I kept trying to get you to oink. No doing. You had a mind of your own alright. Then I needed to do the whole sink full of dishes and you drug the chair over to the sink to help. I let you help and you were thrilled. Before I knew it practically the whole kitchen was flooded. You wouldn't know, you were standing on the chair. I knew because my socks were wet. It didn't matter. We talked and laughed and splashed. We both had to change our clothes after that one but the dishes all got done. I think I learned more from you that day than I would have from going to church. Since then I have contemplated on the commandment in Mathew chapter 18:3 "Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."
That day I realized it was o.k to stay home sick. It was o.k to clean up one mess while making another. It was o.k to desert the rest of the world, the rest of responsibility and just be together.

You are grown now and on your own. I knew it would happen fast and I'm glad I took advantage of our naps, our kisses, and our time together. It's not the same eating dinner without you making a funny face or doing karate moves. Thank you for the light you have always brought to my life.

I love you my boy.
Mom

No comments: