Monday, October 17, 2011

Sunday Dinner

Jeff's creation: Fresh local salmon smothered in brown sugar and topped with apple slices
Here is the chef. Happily chopping away.

Jeff is pretty clever. Because of a tight budget we haven't been going out to eat for a while. He knows me well enough to know that as much as I love being in the kitchen, my favorite date is a yummy dinner that I don't have to think about, prep. for, make, or clean up after. So basically, I like to go out to eat or I like him to make dinner once in a while.

A while back he decided that he was going to cook dinner one night a week. Then he cleverly decided that his night to cook would be Sunday. The reason this was so tricky was because we almost always eat Sunday dinner at my mom and dad's. So he cleverly picked this night, knowing that 9 times out of 10 he would be off the hook. And for his benefit this night really makes the most sense since he is working the other days and Saturdays we usually have leftovers.

Well yesterday was one of those few times when we had Sunday dinner at home which meant Jeff was in charge. He was on it. Before church he took the salmon out of the freezer (I know I said it was fresh, because it was a few weeks ago when my aunt brought it over but I had a full fridge so I had to throw it in the freezer). Then at dinner time he got it out, filleted it, and without me knowing he concocted a delicious topping of brown sugar, butter, and apples. He also went out to the garden and dug up the potatoes to oven roast. Went to the tomato plant and picked the last of the fresh tomatoes for the salad. And at 6:00pm we were all treated to a beautiful Sunday dinner. It was a win, win, win, because he even did all the dishes afterwards!

Sundays are my favorite day of the week for many reasons. One of them being that I rarely have to cook dinner. It's my favorite thing to do 5 nights of the week but even favorites get old!

And the best part of this meal was how happy Jeff was with himself. Seriously so proud of his creation and how much we all enjoyed it. This is what he said at the end of the meal, "I think we've got ourselves a new family favorite."

1 comment:

Marcy M Miller said...

oh, you are so lucky to have Jeff cook! I'm with ya on needing a break every once in a while- that is why we go out and eat too!