Thursday, July 28, 2011

3 boys and 3 girls





Adelle and I aren't outnumbered any longer.
We have a dog now, and she's a girl!

Just so you all know I was on the fence with this one. Jeff wanted a dog. The kids wanted a dog. I was happy with my little dog-less life I was leading.

Jeff thinks I am a bit of a priss when it comes to animals. It's like I say that I like them, because I do like them, but I don't want them to smell bad or rub their butt on my clean floor or jump on my kid or shed all over or drool or throw-up... and that's all just part of having animals. They do that.

But I do like them. Really. I grew up with a dog. I like the character they add to the family and I have wanted my kids to have the experience of having a dog. I think it teaches them a lot. Not just responsibility but also loyalty among other things.

This little brown eyed girl has completely won my heart in less than 2 weeks. Now we both laugh at night when the kids are asleep and Jeff's on the couch reading and I'm curled up on the floor next to the dog, rubbing her belly.

We kinda sorta inherited the dog from some close family friends who recently both passed away. The dog is 2. Her name she came with is Sophie. She is 1/2 blue heeler 1/2 black lab. She was trained really well and well taken care of. She is great with the kids. Exceeded all my expectations to say the least.

My aunt asked if we wanted to try it out for a week before we decided to keep her. The funny thing is Jeff was convinced he and the dog were going to be best friends. He would try and play fetch with her. Pet her. Let her in and out. The dog wanted nothing to do with him, actually avoided him at all cost. I played hard to get. Not really, but one could assume. I just went about my own business and before I knew it the dog was my fourth little shadow. Following me around everywhere. Checking on me. Anxiously waiting for the kids to be playing so that she could have me to herself. Flattering, really. On day two that we had her I got my kids down for nap and went into the laundry room to wash some clothes and Sophie crawled right between my legs (so yes, now I am straddling the dog). It was pretty funny.

So yeah, I guess that's the dog story.
It's like she is part of our family that we never knew we were missing. My kids are totally in love. Braxton was instant. Emmett was instant. Adelle took a little while for her to get used to the idea but now she's on board, napping beside the dog. And Sophie has warmed up to Jeff. They are officially friends. He's pretty excited about that.

10 comments:

Tif said...

Yay for dogs!

We got one in April. I love dogs, it was the husband that didn't think he wanted one. But then this one happened to just come home with me from my mom's house one day and she totally edged her way into his heart.

I think ever child should have a dog at least once!

Unknown said...

You know how I feel about my dog... he really is my kid. I LOVE that you are able to have such a beautiful GEM in your home!

You don't come across dogs like that every day. What a blessing... I do think dogs are blessings, they bring joy and laughter. :)

*Interesting fact: More big black dogs end up put down when put into shelters because of something called the big-black-dog syndrome. For whatever reason (scary, bad pictures of the dog, etc) they don't get adopted like other dogs do. But they are just the same as any other dog... except they really don't as good of pictures.
So on top of it all, while I know your aunt would have never done this, you saved a beautiful dog too. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys got Sophie. I bet she's having a blast with the kids. Of course you're her favorite!! ;) Love you guys, and I am so happy you got my Grams' dog. I know in Heaven she is stoked on it!

Nancy and Spencer said...

Congratulations! There's something so magical about a loving family dog. Especially a boy and his dog! I wish Kaden wasn't allergic to them. We'd love to have one... instead of a bunch of dying fish!!

Peter and Lesha said...

she is a good dog glad it's you and not me though :)

Jessica said...

Dogs Are the best!

The Bowldens said...

yay! she is gorgeous! i am so glad you guys have a pet! i think everyone needs one =) i cant wait to meet her

Jeremy Saunders said...

Oh my goodness, I just about dropped it when I read this! Braxton was so fearful of Sophie (my dog) for a while there, but she is such a sweet dog as well that I think he got used to her. Your Sophie sounds a lot like my Sophie and even looks kind of like her! Love her to bits, she is always cuddling with me as well, but I DO NOT LOVE THE DOG HAIR!!!!!! We should have a doggy play date soon!
mimi

Sarahbelle said...

Wow, what a nice addition to the family! Sounds like you hit the jack pot with her being so well behaved, trained and liking you! I want a dog, but am not sure if we want to take on the responsibility of one- mostly because we travel so frequently. She sure is a beauty!

MAUIGOOSE said...

So there is hope for me then! I too like the idea of a dog but am still not sure i cud handle. Sounds like ur dog is a perfect fit for your family!