Monday, July 11, 2011

Hair pictures and Stereotypes

I'm totally loving my haircut.
I thought this picture showed the back pretty nicely
For example yesterday I got out of the shower and within 2 minutes I was out the door.
That was handy.
Today it looks just as good as yesterday. Don't tell but I don't wash my hair every day. Usually I don't even wash it every other day. Gotta preserve it, ya know!
And here we are, front shot.

So something funny; I have created haircut stereotypes. No one can take offense to this because I've had both long and short but I think it's really funny that I still can't get these stereotypes out of my head.

In my head when I have short hair I feel obligated to:

be a little more high maintenance
wear a little more makeup
wear jewelry/accessories of some sort
act more "cutesy"
get blonde highlights or something (not going to do that again)


When my hair is long I feel:

natural/hippie
loyal
comfortable
athletic/sport-z
sexy (oh come on, it's true!)
myself

So there you have it. My lists of what long hair vs. short hair mean. How crazy am I?
The funny thing is I know many of you have short hair and you don't meet any of the criteria of my short hair stereotype. Hello, I don't even meet the criteria of my short hair stereotype but I am rockin' (inside joke for those who remember the headband ) short hair! That's the beauty of the whole thing. I really enjoy both, long and short. I like the feel of having short bouncy hair and the comfort of having long, unchanging hair. It's all relevant, or maybe it's not, at all? I don't know. I do miss my pony tail. It was getting heavy and annoying but there is something about having the option that I will honestly admit to missing.
And as a side note I've always really admired people who do crazy things with their hair. I"m not one of those people but I figure bursting out of my comfort zone and chopping off my hair is a step in that direction. Probably as far as I'll ever go, but it's still a step.

Do you have any hair stereotypes? I'd love to hear them. No offense taken :)






5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is awesome! And I'd have to say ditto!

In the past ...
Long hair (on me, not in general) meant... drab, ponytails, no layers, boring, too much time drying hair!, and quite frizzy

Now...
Short hair means... peppy, bouncy, clips to pull the whispies aside,
But when it gets tooo short it means, I have nothing to hide behind!

So... now that I've had hair short for 3 years now and am growing it out...
Longer hair (it's long compared to last fall!) means... fun, layers, peppy, really long hair means sex appeal (yes, it is totally true), and the ability to ponytail it up when I am cleaning the house (CAN'T WAIT!)

I was thinking something the other day... I am so excited to grow my hair out and looking forward to it being as long as yours was. And then you cut yours. Kind of fun. :)

Nancy and Spencer said...

ha ha! I think the exact same thing! While my hair has been short, i've 'accessorized' a LOT more. I so miss a ponytail and sexy long hair. :)

Peter and Lesha said...

well I think it's funny cause brent and I were talking the other day about how short hari was the over 30 look, and your not quite there yet :) hahaha but with that said it is by far the cutest look for you, I love it and I think you need something easy with all the other stuff you do and with all the people you serve you deserve to have a fun flirty hair style that doesn't take a lot to maintain. it was looking a little hippie those last couple weeks with your long dress :)

The Bowldens said...

i love your short hair. its so cute and sassy! but i do love your beautiful long hair too. its fun that you can play around with it

Jessica said...

You are adorable period