Sunday, December 5, 2010

He gets it!

We have a tradition that we started last year and have continued this year. We make a paper chain, red and green, to count down the days until Christmas. Each night before bed the kids take turns ripping off a link from the chain. As they do so we go around and everyone tells something nice they did for another person that day. Last night Braxton had to really think of what he did but eventually he remembered that he had helped Adelle get into the car by opening her door for her. I helped Adelle remember that she had shared her orange with Emmett all on her own.
Today we came home from church and as usual both the kids ran to the bathroom to wash their hands with soap. I went back to get Emmett ready for nap and when I came out to the kitchen the kids had already had the table set for lunch (minus the plates which they can't reach). I was so touched and impressed that without me even asking they had done this service on their own. I expressed my gratitude to them for being so kind and helpful and Braxton honestly pronounced, "Mom, I wanted to watch my movie but I knew that was just thinking of me so I decided to think of you first. I knew you would be happy if I set the table." He was so excited to be doing something so nice that he ran back and told his dad what he had done. I asked him if he felt happy and he said yes.
This simple act brought me so much joy. I have really been working on teaching him to put others first and to not just think of himself. Sometimes I feel like I repeat myself over and over, and then I wonder if they will ever get it. They do. They really do get it and I know they will continue to bless many lives.
This is what Christmas means to me and this is what I am trying to teach my children. It's about what you do for others that brings the real peace and joy.

5 comments:

Doneva said...

AMEN, that is so sweet, you are doing an amazing job teaching your children and it shows in all their sweet actions, they are precious

Rachel Ashmore said...

you're a good momma.

And to answer your question about the snow...copy and paste this link to your browser:

http://paisleycatscrapsfreebloglayouts.blogspot.com/2010/12/got-snow.html

It will take you to a blog that explains how to do it. Good luck!

Peter and Lesha said...

that is so sweet, he does get it he is so kind to carson and is always sharing so nice with him and making sure he takes turns with him and carson. that is so nice. carson sure loves coming to your house and I know it's cause he gets treated so nice from all of you.

Peter and Lesha said...

him and adelle not him and carson sorry typo :)

Anonymous said...

you are such a great momma :)