Tuesday, March 12, 2013

this is what our “sick day” looks like

DSC06054DSC06055DSC06056DSC06057DSC06059DSC06060

So I just want to know if anyone else around here is going to get sick? Is that too much to ask? I seriously think there is a virus growing in my home. We did not go anywhere last week, except on Monday to the Library. Seriously. My sister even texted and asked if she could take my kids to some germ fest play area in Bellingham on Thursday and I talked her into just coming over and going on a walk with me and the kids (before she got on her plane to Hawaii. I’m not jealous. Just sayin!)
So out of nowhere Emmett gets the throw-ups. No fever, nothing. He sleeps with Adelle, in the same bed. Adelle is fine. He sleeps in the same room as Braxton. Braxton is fine. Sunday was really long. Emmett wanted me to “rest” with him and his super friends in my bed. I wanted to too. Gage wanted me to hold him, constantly. Braxton and Adelle are rock stars and they played really super good together and by themselves and basically fetched me whatever I needed.
By Sunday afternoon Emmett had shared the wealth and I was nice and green. Same thing though…. nothing but the throw-ups. So Jeff waltzes in after the Home Show and acts as if he is invincible.  Drives me crazy. I am a paranoid sick person. I don’t want anyone near me and I don’t want any physical contact. Why risk getting someone else sick. Am I a freak?  I even kept Adelle home from Preschool on Monday because I wasn’t sure that she didn’t have the sickie germs and I would have hated for her to spread them. Jeff works from home Monday making follow-up phone calls while I manage to hold the fort down and by Tuesday morning, early, early, Jeff is throwing up. Argh!
I know I am a pessimistic sick person but it seems to never fail. Once someone has the throw-ups everyone else gets them? Am I right? Well that is what I have always thought until just in January Jeff got the flu, bad, and I never got it. So I basically thought I was super cool and of course I prided myself on my healthy diet and blah blah blah. Well, not this time. I got it too. So that must have been just a fluke?
So today Jeff and I are both down. Like really yucky, don’t feel good, don’t want to entertain the kids, don’t want to cook, don’t want to eat… you get it. I have to stay home from MOPS. My sister offers to take my kids but I don’t let her because I still can’t be sure they don’t have the germs. Mind you they have no symptoms and Emmett has not thrown up since Saturday night.
Braxton went to school again because I was thinking I can’t really keep him home and say, “Yes, this is Braxton’s mom. Yes, Braxton stayed home today because his dad and I are sick and I am a little bit paranoid and thought he might have the germs.” No! I can’t do that (even though it would have been handy to have him home ;)
So here is my question. And I am really asking you all, whoever you are. Would have the germs spread to everyone by now? Certainly my kids are clear for the play date we have tomorrow? What are your experiences? I keep telling myself to let it go but I don’t want to be THAT MOM. You all know who THAT MOM is, right. So here I am being THIS MOM. The one who is going crazy!
And my poor kids are like let us out of this house!

4 comments:

A and C said...

You are not "that mom". That mom takes their kids places when they are sick. If they have no symptoms I say let them go. There have been many times where there has been no sickness in the house and a child has been playing all day with a friend but the evening comes and they are sick. If I kept kids home because someone in the family was sick, we would never go anywhere! Good luck!!

Andrea said...

Thanks Candace for your perspective.

Wow, re-reading this post I sound really ornery.

Ironically or not, Braxton is home today. He woke up and everyone was fine and Braxton hopped in the shower and I made waffles and everyone was eating waffles galore and I noticed Braxton's cheeks were flushed. I asked him if he felt ok and he said his head hurt. I took his temp and sure enough he has a fever. So... he is officially home sick. Power of my negative thinking? Maybe. Sigh. But everyone else is well and although my tummy is still really unsettled I think most of it is my nerves, honestly.

Black Family said...

I am so with you. You are doing what is best for their welfare and everyone else's. One time when Jake and I were on out death beds throwing up we did not send the kids anywhere...it was awful but we worried they would get other people sick. We stuck it out and watched movies all day....The kids never got sick..haha. We wished we would have had someone take them but you just never know right? I don't think you sound ornery....you sound, human...your keepin it real and that my friend helps us all know we are in the same boat with similar struggles. Hope you guys get better soon.

Kirsta 'n co. said...

We were felled by the same thing last week (even wrote my own sick blog about it), and we were stuck inside for FOREVER. Just trying to make it through while we were dying was enough to make anyone take a second looks at their health habits and recommit to doing everything PERFECTLY. Perfection is pretty impossible, though, and occasional sickness is inevitable, so don't be hard on yourself when it happens (sounds like you're over it now).