Sunday, March 17, 2013

feelings


This is me on Friday. Feeling better and with my back to normal appetite. Jeff always gets a kick out of me taking pictures of food so when he saw my hamburger he grabbed the camera and claimed my burger, "picture worthy!"

This post has been on my mind all week. Ever since I re-read my, "this is our sick day," post. I have already been back to that post, and deleted the parts I was embarrassed about even writing. The whole post is not  anything to be proud of but I figured, for the record, it is what it is and I can accept that it was a hard day
week and move on.

But the whole topic of feelings has been on my mind for some time. Feelings are so complicating to me and I spend more time than I would like thinking about them and trying to understand them. Trying to justify them. Trying to interpret them. Trying to express them in a manner that is beneficial and healing. Trying to appreciate them for what they are and not undermining the importance of them.

I am a really happy person. I hope that comes across in my blogging. I really love life and all the different aspects of it. I love getting old too, really. I am happy though, sometimes, to the point where I don't allow myself to feel any other way. I am so blessed with so many things that often, even when things are really hard and I naturally feel stress or frustration or sadness, I feel guilty and I make myself be happy. It works every time actually, quite well.

You see I have a short list of go-too's if I am not happy. Go for a run. Excuse myself to my bedroom for a small while and  cry. Make something yummy and take it to a friend. Read. Nap with my kids. Go on a date with my husband.... You get the idea.  So when I don't feel happy it's always like, "ok I feel really crummy right now!" "But wait, I have it so good." "I don't have any right to complain or feel crummy." "I am so selfish and ungrateful!" "I need to cut it out, now!" "Suck it up Andrea!" "I can't even believe I was letting myself feel so down." "What is my problem?" And then I am happy again, instantly.

So this is the problem. Or is it? Maybe it's the solution? I just know that for me I think being happy all the time is exhausting.

So I go on my run or to my room or wherever and I talk myself out of whatever I am feeling and I convince myself that I am happy again and then I can move on with my life for however long until I feel overwhelmed again and it starts all over. In the meantime, everyone in between instance one and instance two think I am this amazingly happy person. Just like I think that same thing of everyone that I encounter on a daily/weekly basis. We all do it, "how you doing?" "Great!" "How are you guys?" "How is the business?" "So good!"... Really?

I think for me I have always been the happy one so I am a bit afraid to know what would happen if someone thought maybe I wasn't in a happy mood. Not a friend, obviously friends let friends have bad days. But an acquaintance or in this instance, someone who just reads my blog occasionally. Like if I dropped my son off at school and his classmate's mom asked how I was doing, like she commonly does, and what if I said, "I am completely drained!" what would she even think? What if she thought I wasn't a good mom or what if, and this is the big one for me, what if she thought I had too many kids and I couldn't handle it! I would never want anyone to think that so I always act happy. Always put together. Always good. Always up for whatever.

I guess it's the label I am afraid of. In the previous sick post I said I didn't want to be THAT MOM and after I re-read it I was mortified that I used that phrase. The truth is, if you are a mom, then you are THAT MOM, by someone else's judgement or more likely by your own judgement. We are all that mom at sometime in our mom hood and who the heck cares. We are all trying our best and sometimes we all just need the benefit of the doubt. I think as mom's and just as women in general we are so hard on ourselves that we just assume others are hard on us too.

This last week I am pushing my double stroller, with 3 of my young kids inside (yeah 3 of them in a double stroller), and we are running because we are going to be late picking up my son from school and I totally try and take a shortcut across the grass, like I often do, and we totally bite it! Like Adelle flies off the  front of the stroller, Gage slides under the bar and onto the grass (nope, he was not strapped in, remember I was running late) and Emmett is still in the stroller but he is on his knees in the grass and the stroller is on top of him. Yep. That was me. I was THAT MOM. That one who was running late. That one who didn't strap in her baby. That one, that one, that one. I was admittedly that one who needed help at that moment soothing my startled kids and leave it to another mom to walk up and help me. I wanted to die. Thankfully no one was hurt. Gage didn't even peep. Adelle was more concerned about her shoes getting dirty and Emmett when I got him out looks at me with his big, beautiful, eyes and says, "that was munny (funny)."

So for me, when my kids are sick, I feel completely defeated. I feel like I have lost the whole healthy battle I try so hard to fight. It's a yucky feeling to feel defeated. It makes me feel tired and like I have failed. I feel like I should just give up and who cares... and that's what I was feeling last week when I posted about being sick. When I feel like that I say things and do things that I normally wouldn't do and then I re-read them and I think, "why didn't I just find something to be happy about and blog about that instead?"

This is all a bit of a jumbled mess but it's an interesting topic.

I met someone at church today for the first time. Never met this woman in my life but she knew my husband when he was young. My husband introduced us and she says to me, "yes I read your blog," and my first thought was, "oh fun so she knows how dang darling my kids are and what fun we have," and then my very quick second thought was, "oh my gosh! I wonder if she read that sick post..." and then the negative thoughts started in.

Happy is a safety net for me I think. It's a wonderful place to be and, don't get me wrong, I am very much there a lot of the time. But then there are the other feelings too and while I try not to dwell on them, they do exist and it's ok. I am sure they have a purpose.

I am going to stop now but I am still thinking on this....

10 comments:

Ms. Molly said...

Andrea, well said. I think most moms struggle with how others might perceive us and it's so easy to judge other people's lives especially with Facebook, Instagram, Blogger, etc. With everyone always posting about the wonderful moments it's easy to think that other moms/families don't have hard moments or that everyday is easy/fun/amazing/full of wonderful activities....
You are an amazing mom. And, for the record I didn't think otherwise when I read your "sick" blog post.

Kelsey said...

I'm dying about your kids falling out of the stroller, I have totally done things like that and I beat myself up over it. But then later it kind of is funny, right? And really I don't think any mom (with more than 1 kid) would judge you. :)

You are an awesome mom/person and I totally know how you feel. My life is awesome, Paul is great, I have 3 cute kids, my ward is wondeful, I have lots of friends…but sometimes life just sucks. And I'm trying to let myself have bad days and not drown in the guilt of it all.

And today I am going to be that mom that takes her kids in kindergarten pickup in their pjs. :)

amber york said...

Thank you for this post. I love it, and can completely relate! Honesty is more refreshing in posts than "unicorns and glitter"

amber york said...

PS: "Unicorns and glitter" kind of days are awesome and I love them, and I love being happy and positive, but their not an every-day occurrence, and I love seeing people talk about the other days!

Black Family said...

I so agree with all the above comments. We will have bad days it's inevitable. One times one of my friends was reading my facebook status's and pictures and thought my life was perfect. I had a bad day and posted this from Pres. Hinkley “Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.” After I wrote that she thanked me for being real...she had thought I had this perfect life that she could never obtain. And it so is not...it is just as Pres. Hinkley quoted cinders and jolts interspersed only occasionaly by beautiful vistas. You my friend are human ;)

tina said...

This is what I've learned from a little play called "My Turn on Earth". Opposition in all things. "You can never happy if you've never been sad....etc. I'm sure your familiar with the song. Everyone has those moments in time where you feel blah...doesn't mean you don't appreciate what you have past/present/future. It doesn't mean you don't have the right to have a moment...own it and then move passed it. It does make you weak or selfish, I think you are showing your kids that its okay to feel blah sometimes; it helps you grow. I love you. Remember (to quote Emmitt) "I'm the best Andrea"

tina said...

Correction: it doesn't make you weak...

Jessica said...

This is really wonderful!
Honesty is not only good for our own hearts but the hearts of others as well!
Miss Ya Girl!
Love the looks of that burger.

Sarah said...

Andrea, thank you for this post. I think it took a lot of courage and I agree with the other comments. I think it is awesome that you focus on the good and being happy, but you are human. We all are. And I honestly didn't think any less of you after reading your "sick" blog post. If anything I felt I could relate with you more because I have had those feelings, too.

Admitting something is hard (or less than perfect) doesn't make a person weak, it shows humility, which is something I know I personally struggle with because I want to have it all together, all the time. But like you said, it's ok not to.

Kirsta 'n co. said...

I dedicate my own blog to showing my frailties, faults, and funny moments - you have to be real to have real friends! So you rocked out to Pandora - how many songs would NOT have gotten written if people didn't have bad days? Breakups? Heartaches? "Told you so" moments"? We'd be missing worlds of art and poems and stories if everything was good all the time. Even the "unicorns and glitter" (I liked that analogy!) stuff is sweeter because you've experienced the opposite. And how GOOD did food taste after you were done being sick? I swear my 1st yogurt after not eating for 24 hours tasted like HEAVEN. Heaven is a peach Activia yogurt, after being sick. So let it all hang out sometimes, and definitely let your kids see it so they know it's OK to be sad/mad/frustrated and how they can deal with it. Lots of hugs!