Tuesday, March 8, 2011

the last thing on my list


The first year Jeff and I were married we spent a crazy amount of money on each other for Christmas. It was absolutely ridiculous! It was also really fun. We loved each other right, newly wed style!! We wanted to give the greatest gift to show the greatest love.
Then there was the conversation after we had a couple kids that went something like this,
Him: "I'm having a really hard time buying your present this year because I know you don't want me to spend a bunch of money but I want to get you something special."
Me: "I don't even really know what I want because whenever I want/need something I just go buy it." The funny thing about that conversation was that it was true and I was disappointed that it applied to me. I had somehow turned into that person that when my sock got a hole I went and bought new socks. I didn't wait and ask for them for Christmas. I just bought what I needed, when I needed it. Modern woman, right? Just to defend myself on this note I am not a frivolous person so don't get the wrong idea. However, I've also never mended socks so you make the judgment call.
The special thing about this last Christmas was that I had an actual wish list with things on it that really were practical things that in past years I would have just bought. There were 4 things on my list, one of which was an eyelash curler. My eyelashes are stick straight which doesn't really bother me but sometimes I feel like if I had one for special dates then it would be nice. Needless to say I didn't get one. No biggie, I've lived without one for forever so whatever.
Then last week when I was sick I sent my good husband to the store for me. He came back with the things on the list, plus one more. An eyelash curler. When I noticed it in the bag I looked at him curiously and he plainly said, "it's the only thing on your list that you didn't get yet." Wow.
What an amazing man I have in my life. Taking care of me when I'm sick is not an easy task and he managed to do it so gracefully and with so much care and concern. Plus, he thought outside of the box and came home with the last thing on my list. It was the perfect gift.
For me this shows how we've progressed since those early years. The kind thoughts have ruled out the expensive gifts. I don't know what it cost, not a lot, but I will never forget him remembering my wish list 2 months after Christmas and coming home with the last thing on my list.

7 comments:

Aunt Angela said...

Wow! Can't believe he remembered what was on your Christmas list. Most don't remember the next day what was on the list. He's a keeper.

Marcy M Miller said...

How Sweet!

April said...

What a sweet husband you have!

I don't think anyone will be judging you for not mending your socks. haha!
April

amber york said...

What a thoughtful husband!

Jeremy Saunders said...

You two have something very special! Treasure it! And thank his mom!Or he probably came that way!
mimi

Anonymous said...

Such a sweetheart you have anj! I can't believe he remembered your christmas list...I think he is a keeper!

Sara Sofea said...

shuuemura or elf?any suggestion?

Best Of Luck!!!
best eyelash curler