Thursday, November 4, 2010

a little secret





I have a little secret.
My kids, they are not deprived, only get one piece of Halloween candy a day.
Yep, ONE!
Why? Because sugar dramatically lowers the immune systems ability to function properly and since my kids are not able to make that conscious decision yet, I am making it for them.
They do not mourn. They are absolutely thrilled when they get their one piece.
And they are really healthy kids which makes them really happy kids.
It's all about perspective people!
Here they are only one day after Halloween with their cousins.
On my kitchen floor sharing and devouring pomegranate seeds.
They had completely forgotten about their candy and were arguing over who got the last little antioxidant filled deliciousness!
This makes me feel so accomplished in my efforts.
They love these seeds and they are so good for their little growing bodies.
and a side note, I used to be really scared of pomegranates because I didn't know how to really eat them but all you do is wash the skin then cut it in half down the middle and soak each half in warm water. Then the seeds pick out really easy!
Give it a try, I bet your kids will love them!

5 comments:

Black Family said...

love it! now i just need to do the same thing that i do for my children...one a day....lol! jaida prefers broccoli to pizza....and i love that! healthy kids are happy kids! i heard there was a dentist in town too that gives the kids a dollar a pound of candy and then sends it to the troops....i thought what a great idea....have the kids pick their favorite 10 pieces of candy then haul it off to the dentist....lol!

Melissa said...

thanks for the good idea.. all four of us (me and the three girls) enjoyed it as a snack today!

Sarahbelle said...

My kids totally forgot about the candy the next day, and since then have had maybe 1 piece a day. Two of the things I am trying to teach my children besides good manners, morals and values is a love of GOOD FOOD (they eat all kinds of different things) and BOOKS! we were fighting over the last edamame the other day, a proud moment!

Peter and Lesha said...

kate loved loved loved them. thanks for the idea she has since eater two whole ones almost by herself

Unknown said...

I like this the most because I now am not scared of pomegranates! And for your healthy little kids. :)