Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bullies

Dear Bully,
I wish you could have seen and heard both of my children today when I had to tell them that you had taken Adelle's pumpkin off of our porch and smashed it on the street right in front of our house. It brought me to tears, watching them agonize over someone being so unkind and selfish. I know you didn't realize that the pumpkin you destroyed belonged to a 2 year old. I know you didn't rationalize how that child would feel when they walked out their door and noticed that their pumpkin was gone. These feelings I'm sure would have prompted you to participate in some other form of "fun."
This was a learning experience for our family. When my son said, "I want to put my pumpkin in the backyard now, mom," I was able to talk to him about not being afraid and about what happens when we make bad choices that affect other people.
Both of my kids are standing in the window looking out on the scene of the crime. They have both been crying. They are both hurt, confused, disappointed. There is one day left until Halloween. Please spare the other children who's pumpkins are nicely carved on their porches.
You're a huge jerk.
But I forgive you.
Andrea

9 comments:

Vashti said...

Oh my goodness! Poor girl! It never ceases to amaze me how people can do things so unkind. I think you handled it perfectly with your sweet kids.

Peter and Lesha said...

you are a huge jerk, you crack me up. but on another note, that is awful and I am so sorry Adelle

Rach said...

bummer! reminds me one time a I made a cake in college and put it on my porch, and someone deliberately stepped on it:( but we get over it i guess?

I wanted to ask you if I could share your pumpkin curry recipe on my blog? I love it! I seriously make it very often. Let me know!

The Bowldens said...

this totally made me cry!

Anonymous said...

This made me so sad!! :( The same thing happened to me when my Dad, Becks and I lived on Northwest. That kind of thing sticks with you.. it is really sad. Poor girly. :( Love you guys!!

CLS said...

That is horrible! Our first year on Puget someone did that to us. I was extremely upset, and I was 21! Poor little Miss. I hope she had fun on Halloween anyways!

JoeKatie said...

That is so sad! I have worried about that with my boys' pumpkins. But I have a solution.... A lady I met on my mission told me what she would do, she lived on a corner lot and would put the pumpkins along her fence and when they would get taken her kids would be devastated, so she took an entire package of sewing pins and poked them from the inside of the pumpkin to the outside and when the person(s) would try to grab the pumpkins it would stab them all over.
You may not want to teach you kids that, but it would solve your problem.
(Only a Kendall would have this perspective!)

Nancy and Spencer said...

Most likely that bully was local to your neighborhood. I would've written this awesome letter of yours on a huge poster board and posted it in my front yard for all, including the bully, to see. Give him a guilt trip to wrack his mind the next time he thinks of smashing a pumpkin!

misstris_99 said...

I love you honesty! They are jerks...but I almost feel sorry for them. Have they never loved anything or took pride in an accomplishment? You're kids learned how to be a respectful neighbor from their thoughtlessness. Isn't that amazing?!