Thursday, September 9, 2010

You're the same today as you'll be in five years except for the people you meet and the books you read.” - Charlie "Tremendous" Jones



Let me try and express the many emotions I am feeling right now.
Braxton turns 5 in a month (really!!??), which means that for almost 5 years I have been wrestling with the idea of homeschooling my children. A good friend of mine put it perfectly when she said something to the effect of, "but what if the teachers at school don't recognize how brilliant my child is?) That is exactly how I feel, about all my children, and it seems almost unfair for them to go and possibly get lost in the crowd of 30 other children. However, I also feel really passionate towards public school and the chance that it gives my children to learn, grow, teach, and experience life outside of our little bubble. That is also important. I could go on and on, listing pro's and con's of each but the reason I am a fence sitter on this issue is because I really don't think one way is better than the other.
So, because of a loving Heavenly Father who knows me so, so, well my first little October Baby (Braxton) will not start school until next fall. This gives me an extra year to make the big decision. With that in mind I recently gave in to the honest truth that Braxton will thrive in public school. He is social and smart and he knows who he is and I know that realistically if I told him we were going to do school at home he would be really dissapointed. To support my decision I decided public school would be secondary to his primary education which he will be taught at home. I will work with him at home on reading, writing, math,...and then he can use the public school for learning about marijuana, bad words, and video games.
With that decision I was recommended a book by a friend called, The Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading. I checked it out at the Library and it's already been phenomenal. Braxton and I are working on the vowel sounds right now and he's loving it. Adelle chimes in sometimes too which is also great and it gives Braxton a chance to teach his little sister the sounds. Extra practice for him! I was feeling really good about the decision until....
Yesterday!
Yesterday was supposed to be the first day of school for the district we are in. It was not. The teachers went on strike. They are in controversy over a few extra minutes of pay and as of today school will not start until at least Monday.
I do not know all the facts. I do not understand all the lingo. It makes me sad that in the recession we are experiencing, these teachers can't be grateful and appreciative of the jobs they do have and the money they do get! I'm confused at the dynamic between teaching for money and teaching for the love of the children. I know it is their job. I would also agree that they are highly underpaid and overworked. It's all so complicated but yet simple?
The parents need to take the time to raise their children with good manners so that the teachers don't need to waste much of their time conflict managing.
The parents need to send their children to school well rested, well fed, and with an understanding of respect for themselves and others.
The parents need to practice with their children the things they are learning in school so that the teachers time can be more productive.
Then the teachers can have the money they are fighting for because it won't be wasted on spending 15 minutes disciplining Freddie or on making sure Suzie has breakfast.
Thanks for hearing me out. I feel better!
As for me, I will do my part and for now my china cabinet will be filled with unorganized books.


You're the same today as you'll be in five years except for the people you meet and the books you read.

- Charlie "Tremendous" Jones


9 comments:

Amber & Ammon said...

Andrea, I love this post and the time I have spent pondering your words! I agree that we as mothers will be the greatest and best teachers our children will ever have, and I also don't feel so bad that in my house sits a laundry basket full of books.

Vashti said...

What a wonderful post! I really love how you put everything in here... your kids are so lucky to have such a wonderful Mother!!

MAUIGOOSE said...

wow! reading that made it seem like you opened up my mind and read how i feel too! good for you to make sure that learning isnt just done at school! its good to hear that there are parents out there who strive for better and with an awesome mom like you your kids will be amazing and will surpass your wildest dreams!

Annajean D. said...

I understand this dilemma! I have played it out in my mind many times, although for obvious reasons I am not on any sort of time limit to make a decision. I have often felt that if only I could fully educate my children at home, then send them to school for the experience, and STILL allow them to have the time that they need to play and grow and explore and just be kids, then everything would be great. I really love how eloquently you worded your feelings toward the Ferndale School District strike. It was so well said. So many people are hurting in these hard times, and it is very saddening to see people not recognize their own blessings. I have been lamenting that in my mind these last couple of days. Truly you are a wonderful mother and if I ever get the chance I hope I can be one like you:-)

Peter and Lesha said...

ok so here I go on my soap box agree or not this is how I feel. We need to stop spending soooo much money on a war we shouldn't have ever gotten in and start spending it on schools and teachers and resources for the next generation and the class sizes need to be smaller. parents do have a responsiblity to thier kids to teach them not just about the gosple but about math reading writing cause I tell you what I didn't get a thing out of puplic school Peter who went to international school was challenged and pushed and taught so much more than I was here and I think that the city schools are better than the county ones too big city that is not bellingham. anyway yes you are a great mom and braxton is soooo smart he will do great he knows how to filter the bad and bring in the good. Do you rememnber when we were in middle school and mom used to come to the school and be walking down the hall and she would hear a kid swear or something and she would say "excus me!" I always wanted to dye. Well I have become that person too carson was playing on the playground at a school and there were some kids talking and one of them, right in front of carson said some very disgusting things and I turned and said "excuse me"

Ratchfords said...

I agree, it is a very hard decision. We have been lucky to live in places where the public schools are great, but I wouldn't hesitate to pull my kids and homeschool if I felt it would be a better situation for them.

And I don't know all the details of the strike, but the year Grace and Liam spent at Mt. View was wonderful. One of the best schools we've gone to, and we've gone to a lot! Braxton will do great there if that's the choice you make!

Jeremy Saunders said...

well put. I think you have it right about parenting and schooling. My daughter came home from her first day at Fairhaven (remember whatcom burned--not the best situation and I have thought of homeschooling her this year) and her language arts teacher of all people swore three times in class-big cuss words--now if we hadn't taught her at home, he would be her role model, but he isn't, and she thinks he's an idiot.

Except as a teacher, I would think I am on the teachers' side. I got a hold of the payscale last year because I did the leave replacement and even if I went back to school (I already went for five years) to get my doctorate and worked for 16 years in the same district, I would only get paid less than what my husband who has no college education makes now. They need to keep fighting for themselves.
mimi

Melissa said...

First: I LOVE that book. We're using it now. Emily has started reading.. And Hannah (3) can read some words too! It really is a good book. I added some fun crafts to go along with it to make it more kid friendly though...

Second: I use to be completely against homeschooling. Until Emily's age kept her out of kindergarten this year. In her preschool she was more advanced then all the kids going into kindergarten this year, but because of her birthday she is unable to be there. (Her teacher recommended that I tried a private school, or a more challenging preschool) I looked into many different options.. And then I came up with a different one. This year I'm homeschooling both girls. However for socializing time, we have started a co-op kind of thing and are doing that two days a week...

Our house has become a place of learning. It's changed every one of us. We're not watching T.V. anymore, we all try to learn. My girls have learned A TON.. They know 27+ states and capitals. Emily is starting to do addition, and Hannah is well on her way to learning all the numbers and knows almost all her letter sounds. Plus SOOO much more. We all learn stuff together. Yes, it's been hard sometimes. But SO worth it. I don't know how long I will want to or be able to home-school.. But it's an amazing experience that I'm hoping will last quite a while.

kaitlyn said...

amen, sista!