Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tradition

One of my favorite things about Christmas has always been going to the tree farm and cutting down the Christmas tree. Growing up we would do this and it was always so fun to pick out the tree and then help cut it down and drink cider and eat candy canes and popcorn afterwards. We let Braxton pick out our tree this year and he did a dandy job! It was raining on Saturday when we went but that didn't stop us from having a good time and getting the perfect tree.
This year I realized something that has never even crossed my mind before. Going and cutting down a tree is lots of fun for everyone but it's lots of work too. Afterwards I told Jeff that I really loved him for putting up with my traditions. I realized that I really like going and looking at all the trees and picking one out and getting all bundled up, but when it comes to cutting it down I never help him because every year I have been holding a baby. So Jeff cut down the tree, with the help of Braxton. Jeff carried the tree to the car and then tied it onto the car. What a guy!Thanks Jeff! You're awesome. Maybe that's why I like this tradition so much. I get to share in the fun without having to get down and dirty. I promise one day when all the kids are grown we will still go cut down our own tree and I will be right there on the ground with you, sawing my little heart out (and cursing the saw that always seems so dull at tree-cutting time).
Until then however, I will enjoy being the mom and getting to come along for the fun, drink the cider take the pictures and pose by the tree. Somebody has to do it!
*how cute are all of our boots! I made sure Adelle's were still on for the picture. She really likes to kick them off. Thank goodness we live in Washington and our 6 month old has her own rainboots!







5 comments:

Johnny and Eirian said...

So fun! I love that you've got traditions with your family- Johnny and I haven't a single holiday tradition despite 6 years of Christmases together- something to work on, for sure! We've made our blog private, if you'll send your email to eirianalison(@)yahoo(.)com i'd love to add you to the list!

Vashti said...

How fun! We opted for the fake prelit type of tree this year. I love all the boots, very stylin!

The Bowldens said...

omg! thats so cute! i miss you guys!!!

kaitlyn said...

we went out to the tree farm too for trevor's office tree... it was loads of fun!

i LOVE YOUR BOOTS! i have been looking for some! where did you get them?

Marcy M Miller said...

That is fun, Zak and I used to do that, but it was alot of work, and about an hours drive to the forest, but that is awesome that you are keeping the tradition.