Friday, November 28, 2008

Giving Thanks

I absolutely love thanksgiving. How can you not have a good day when you sit down and actually think about all that you have to be thankful for!
The kids and I have had a fun week making turkeys, not real turkeys, but the kind that you make by sticking your hand in paint and then pressing it to the paper. Braxton loved this activity this year and was very independent about doing it, "all by myself, mom." Adelle wasn't such a fan but she was a good sport, as usual. It was tricky with her because her fist is usually in her mouth so I had to make sure to have a wash rag with me at all times because as soon as I let go of her fist it goes straight for her mouth. Anyway, we made little thanksgiving notes and sent them/gave them to family members. During this process Braxton and I had some beautiful conversations about everything he was thankful for. It was really sweet.

So then last night, after a wonderful dinner and a busy day, Braxton, Jeff and I were cuddling on the couch while Adelle was asleep.
Braxton (completely out of the blue) says to me, "mom, where is your turkey card?"
Me: "we didn't make one for mommy, huh, that's ok mommy knows that you are thankful for her."
Braxton (now he's distraut and sad for me that I didn't get a card) says, "oh."
Me: "why don't you just tell me why you are so thankful for me."
Braxton: "it's because you really love me."

This of course was better than any card and completely melted my heart. All week when we had made cards he had said he was thankful for treats, and playing ball, and going fishing, and playing crazy (with Jeff) and for his sissy.

I am so thankful for moments like this that remind me of my blessings in such an innocent way. My children are so sweet and straight from heaven. Braxton could have easily said, I actually expected him to say, that he was thankful that I read him books or that I made him yummy dinners or that I sang songs with him....but he didn't. He is truly thankful that I "really love him" and I soooooo do!

5 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

that was too sweet it made me cry. He says the sweetest things and he always means them. He is so special, baby girl and Carson have a lot to live up to. next time I want some picture though. hahaha

The Bowldens said...

that is so sweet! i love little braxton. he is so tender hearted and so precious! we miss you guys!

Grandma said...

that was so incredibly precious, I've been there so many years ago, how I miss those moments when life is so worthwhile through the eyes of the truly wise little ones. My face is completely wet and dripping. thanks for letting me stalk your blog. Love you Mikey

Christen said...

Braxton is such a sweet boy! I didn't think reading someone's blog could make me all teary eyed!

Tina said...

Thanks for sharing your tender experiences. I wish I could have those moments over again. When they are young they truly speak what they feel. You are a good mommy! Love Ya!