Saturday, April 9, 2011

ring....ring....ring...


*Picture me sitting on a blanket in the backyard, with my babes, soaking up the sunshine, wearing my Joan Clever dress, and the phone rings.*

"Hello."
"Hi, sweetie it's Auntie Melissa. I just got into town and wanted to see if Gramy and I could come play with your kids while you and Jeff had a date?"
rapid breathing... excitement....appreciation.......desire......
"That would be really, really, fabulous!"

And so it was. Fabulous!
I did what any desperate for a date wife would do.

I disregarded the fact that my kids hadn't had a nap because of all the family hoop-la that had been going on with my brothers homecoming.
I disregarded the fact that my house wasn't cleaned yet and the day was almost over.
I disregarded the fact that Jeff was mid-way done with a project in the garage he's been wanting to complete.

Jeff is always game for a date and I'm gradually becoming more sporadic, thanks to his ever sporadic example.
I told him we were going out and he literally dropped everything and said, "sweet, where we going?"

I had it all planned instantly!

To the local food co-op for dinner where he had chuckanut bay clam chowder and she had her favorite 3 salad plate with the balsalmic beets! Yum, she loves beets!
He made her laugh with all of his hippie jokes and she giggled and batted her eyelashes.
Then to the tennis courts to get the real game on.
He dominated the first few games until she got warmed up and kicked booty! (in her opinion)

Fun was had by all!
Brent (brother), Bryce (brother), Chelsey (chocolate cake creator extraordinaire & Bryce's girlfriend), and Sean (cousin)
crashed our date after we called them and invited them to come challenge us on the court.
Then we shared the yummy cake they brought us per my request.

I'm so glad my auntie called me.
I'm so glad I got a date with my favorite person.
I'm so glad yesterday/last night was perfect tennis weather.
and I'm so glad we have an old Geo Metro that gets really, really, good gas mileage and that we can drive on dates and be close to each other and unlock each others doors manually and remember the times when it was the only car we had....when we were the only ones we had.






3 comments:

Rachel Ashmore said...

I was examining the picture and wondered aloud where Jeff got BYU-Idaho gym shorts. Andrew overheard me, took a look himself, and then said and I quote: "THAT's where they are! Jeff is wearing MY shorts! I have been tearing the house apart looking for those! Leave a comment this instant."

So anyway, there you go. =) Aren't date nights the best? Glad you guys had a good time.

Black Family said...

Good for you guys!! My favorite is the 3 salad plate too....with the yummy beets and yes then I get made fun of by Jake....with hippy jokes...that is hilarious!!

Unknown said...

Such a cute picture. And such a perfect date. :)