Wednesday, January 20, 2010

It's a BOY!

Emmett Douglas was born Monday January 18th at 12:32 pm. He is perfect....we are all in love. He weighed 8 lbs. 11 oz and 22 inches long! Longest baby so far...
Here is the proud "big brother." When Emmett came out and Jeff announced it was a boy I was so happy. We would have loved either, yet I felt ready for another boy and I had felt like he was a boy...until the end when I started to doubt my instincts. Out loud I exclaimed, "horry, Braxton will have his brother." We called Braxton and Adelle at my parents and told them to come home and see the new baby BOY. Braxton said, "it's just what a wanted..." He was really thrilled.
The kids came quickly with BOY balloons and ice-cream for everyone.
Adelle checking out Emmett for the first time.
Our growing family....Emmett is nursing under the blankets.
Our little guy. Emmett is a name that Jeff and I liked from the beginning of the pregnancy. We didn't really have any others that we liked except ones that were "left over" from Braxton. Douglas is my dad's name and both of my brothers' middle names so we thought it was a good name sake as they are all really great men that we love and admire.
This is Emmett wearing the pj's that Jeff wore when he was born. I love stuff like this :)
Daddy admiring his perfect little boy. Sorry about the pink blankets. They were within reach thanks to Adelle's room next door. We have since found all the blue ones that were still stored away.
Emmett has his own hats though, not everything is hammy-down. Grammy came over with 7 homemade hats for Emmett. One for every day of the week.
Thanks Sarah for the shirts...my dear friend made these cute shirts for my kids and sent them from Virginia. I hid them until the special today to make sure they were still white! Braxton has worn his every day since, I'm ok with that right now.
Adelle practicing her anatomy lesson,...nose, eyes, mouth..
Emmett definitely has his own little look. His face is much narrower than his siblings and his eyes are a really light blue/gray. It will be interesting to see how his looks develop. There is definitely some Braxton in there and I can see some Adelle too.
This cracks me up. These two hams are completely hiding the baby. I'm holding him up and they sat right in front of him.
He was really alert from the beginning. In this picture he is less than an hour old. Bright eyed.
Here we are...nice and worn out from all the action.

So...you want the scoop? I will give the run-down, with details...probably never to come. Unless you ask.
Emmett was born at home. It was amazing. It was excruciating. It was really fantastic and yet there were some really challenging moments in there as well.
Sunday we went to church and I came home feeling a little sorry for myself, being 5 days over due and not knowing when it was all going to be done.
I decided to think positive thoughts, so, while the kids were playing play dough I made a cherry pie. I find cooking and baking really therapeutic and I think it really helped me feel better. That night Jeff and I went to bed about 10:00. At 1:00 I was woke up by contractions. I started timing them myself and they were about 7 minutes apart. I laid there praying for them to intensify and listening to the record wind we were having outside. I'm a little hippie so bear with me, but I was mentally letting the wind carry my contractions away with my breathing. It was really quite relaxing.
Anyway, I woke up Jeff about 1:30am and told him that I thought I should call my midwife (Winnie.) He was really surprised but when I told him how close my contractions were he agreed that she should be called.
Winnie arrived at about 3:00am. My contractions were still about the same distance apart so she suggested I just try and lay down and rest. I was dilated to a 5 at this point, if I remember right?
I laid in my own bed and prayed that my kids would be able to continue sleeping and get the rest that they needed. Jeff dosed in and out and me and the wind carried out the contractions.:)
At 7:00am I was dilated to a 7 and still feeling pretty on my game. I was able to walk them out and the kids were still asleep in their own beds. We called my mom and gave her the heads up and she came over to be ready for the kids when they woke up. They totally slept until almost 8 which was great. Then they woke up, I was able to nurse Adelle (yes, she still nurses too) during the labor, and then they went home to my mom's. My mom got them settled with my sister watching them and then came back to be there for the delivery.
I kept contracting intensely and dilating but the baby wasn't dropping. Some of you know, my babies never drop during pregnancy. However, before they had dropped before delivery. Emmett was not having anything of it. I was fully dilated by 11:00 but he was so high still had I did no pushing sensation. I pushed anyways and it was like nothing was happening. I pushed my heart out and no progress. Completely Frustrated I was tired and anxious and ready to be done. Winnie was boggled by the whole thing and was convinced that my water sack was in between my baby and my cervix which is why I didn't feel like pushing. After pushing and pushing with my results I agreed to letter her rupture my water. After that the baby moved down into position and was born a few heave-ho's later. He came out right on our bed. It was so perfect. So intimate and so exactly the way I had envisioned it being.
This is the glorified version. The last hour or so was really ferocious. There were many prayers said and many encouraging words from my #1 husband and my #1 midwife. Jeff was so great. He was so strong and so encouraging and I am so glad that I got to be the one experiencing it and not him. I really don't think I could have handled seeing him in that state towards the end. The only thing I can think of now is that song, "It hurts so good." I don't know who sings it but it's an oldie.
Anyway, I loved every minute of it and Emmett is so perfect and so worth it. I have really strong opinions about the womans body and it's ability so if you are at all considering a natural birth I would love to talk to you about it. It's not for everyone but it's the perfect fit for me and I would strongly recommend looking into it. People have asked us if we did it for insurance reasons? The answer is NO. They asked if we were scared, nervous...the answer was NO. We were mentally prepared, we were spiritually prepared and we just trusted that it would work out. I am very anti-intervention and I just really think that with a will there is a way. It was our will and it was great.
That is the story. We are all healthy, all happy. We get at home visits from Winnie for the first two days. Yesterdays was perfect, baby is thriving, nursing, sleeping...cooing.
The kids LOVE him.
Thanks to Jeff who is the best husband, dad, friend, labor-coach, baby maker....the whole thing...he is the greatest and brings me so much strength. Thanks to Braxton and Adelle for being so flexible and so understanding at this time. They are the greatest BIGs. All the prayers and thoughts of friends and family. We really have felt all of your love. My mom, who I think has excused herself from my next delivery. She paced our hall the whole time and I think she literally almost died, but she was there and able to go get the kids and bring them back with a fabulous meal.
We are such a happy family and I am so glad to have my baby OUT!....let's be real.

25 comments:

The Tulett Family said...

Hooray! Congratulations. I wish I was there to see the new little guy. I'm so excited for you guys. And you were so brave Andrea!! I don't think I could ever do that. It takes a strong woman! Enjoy that baby! Love you, Andrea

Shanna said...

Congragulations Andrea and family....I heard the full story from your mom last night, and I have to hand it to ya...you are one strong chick! We are so happy for you guys and can't wait to meet the new little guy.

Ratchfords said...

YAY! He is so beautiful and you are so amazing! Congratulations!

CLS said...

Andrea, you are amazing! I am so proud and in awe of you. I think you answered all of my questions from my e-mail. I can't wait to meet him. I am totally inspired and when I have another (not for a while) I would totally consider doing it your way. We'll talk :)
I'll call you in a couple of days. Congrats all of you!
Love,
Cassie

April said...

Congratulations Andrea, I am so happy that you were able to have the delivery you wanted. I agree that there is no better way to have a baby than natural and it's a very spiritual experience when the baby is born in your own home.
April

Christen said...

Andrea-you managed to make me cry through yet another one of your posts. Everything sounds amazing and you are so strong, I admire you. Emmett is precious. Congratulations to the whole happy family. Can't wait to get together soon.

Bonnie and Tyler said...

That is so great! Congrats on a new baby BOY!! YOu are a strong woman. I have heard great things about home deliveries and I think it is so awesome that women can do that. I know in my situation though, I can also appreciate Hospitals and Doctors all around me. I am so happy that everything turned out okay!

Jena said...

Awesome! I was hopping you would write a detailed birth story. I did my last one without the epidural, but had to be induced, because of a dumb doctor. It is awesome and I probably won't do it any other way. Now I just need to do the home birth. I might need to call you! :)

Marcy M Miller said...

Congrats! I'm glad that he is doing so well. He is a sweetie.

The Bowldens said...

i am so happy for you guys! i cant wait to meet emmett! hes so cute! i am surprised at how different he looks compared to the other two kids. call me soon!

Kelsey said...

Yeah! He is so cute.

My mom got to be there when Miles was born and I know it was hard for her seeing me in pain and I had an epidural! I can only imagine how hard it was for your mom.

Enjoy your new baby!

Anonymous said...

1. Congratulations on another beautiful baby. I love miracles.

2. John Cougar Mellencamp.

3. Love the pictures. Thanks for sharing them. That's really cool.

4. Jeff -- Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Got the message, and the new time is fine. I shall be there. Thanks for squeezing that in in the middle of the far more important things you had on your plate.

5. Praying for you and the chances you'll get some sleep soon. My midwife/naturopath would be happy with your choice of midwifery and home-birth, and would likely like letting the wind take the contractions (works for me). I like a bit of hippiness.

Brian and Amy Wilson said...

Congrats! I'm glad things went well.

Peter and Lesha said...

he is so cute I didn't really get to see him that great when I was there. I can't wait to come back, great job with the delivery, I hope it was everything you thought it would be. I am so glad it was you and not me. So glad Kate will have a playmate:) if you need anything call.

Ms. Molly said...

I'm so happy for you and your family Andrea. I loved reading your birth story, I hope that even though I will be at the hospital I can have an intervention free birth also. Next time I'm def. going midwife & love your "wind carried away contractions" mind set. Congratulations!

Rach said...

Yay Emmett! So glad he finally made it:)

I loved reading your birthing story, birth stories always make me emotional. You are so wonderful, and there is nothing wrong with being a hippy.

Jama said...

What a wonderful story to read. Our bodies are amazing wonders. Great job, you two! He is adorable, ofcourse. Sending my love.
Jama

Paul and Lynda said...

Congratulations. Another nephew. I love it. I agree with you...natural is better and your recover is quicker and easier. I had my first two with medical intervention and the last three natural. The last three were so much easier. Again, congratulations. We love you guys...though we never see each other.
Love, Aunt Lynda

Jessica said...

Tears of joy for you guys!! I am so proud of you Andrea for sticking with your instincts. I to agree that natural is the way to go and had not been for difficult pregnancies at home birth would have been my first choice. You are an amazing woman one that many of us probably look up to. Thanks for being so open with who you are!! Love you guys and please call if there is anything I can do to help. Other than that I can't wait to meet your newest bundle. His little cheeks look like they need to be kissed:)

Linda said...

Congratulations on your new little boy! I'm happy for you that you were able to have the birthing experience that you wanted. :) Linda (Peter's Mom)

kaitlyn said...

Congrats to all you guys! he is beautiful (handsome) and i love the name. i love how you know who you are and how you want to do things and aren't afraid to show it... good for you! i am totally inspired by your story and your bravery. i would love to hear more details sometime (seriously, i love details). and i would probably like to pick your brain about a few things. but... no hurries! let me know if you need a visitor or if you want the kids to come over and play at my house. or even just dinner! hope you are recovering well! (there is a book called painless labor, i think, it is a great read with ideas like letting the wind carry away your contractions),

westcoastsoul said...

Aw your little guys are adorable! Congratulations on the latest addition :) When I have kids I want to go natural too.

Kirsta 'n co. said...

HA! I don't remember you being a hippie when we were in college :) Then again I don't remember you having 3 beautiful kids, either - or a handsome husband to boot! That's great that you had such a beautiful home birth, and EXTRA great that Jeff supported you through it - why is it sometimes harder for guys to accept home birth than it is for girls? I'd be all about it if I could keep quiet and pretend I wasn't in labor - Joe wants to drag me to the hospital the second he gets the chance! I know you're super-busy, but I want you to know I'm thinking of you and (bear with MY hippie ways) sending you good vibes! Have an excellent recovery

Craison said...

Good thing he carries the Ashmore name after another GREAT man. ;)

Doneva said...

WOW that really brought back many emotions, ANDREA you did such an amazing job delivering Emmett at home, it was probably one of those moments that I WILL never Forget, you have such incredible staminia and FAITH and Jeff was so supportive, my most memorable moment was when Jeff would humbly offer a prayer and the profound AMENS from ME, WINNIE, the doula and YOU, it was so powerful and enlightning!!!