Monday, December 28, 2009

Morning Song

In preparation for one of Jeff's Christmas gifts I have spent the last few months reading through old journal entries. It's been so wonderful to refresh my memory of the days when we were first married and lifestyle then compared to now. Both are equally great but tremendously different. The thing that struck me the most was the morning routine.
When we were first married we only had one car (it was a 1965 Ford Mustang) and we shared it. It was so romantic because it caused us to do everything together. From a journal entry I remember that this was the routine every morning; I would get up, go to the bathroom(this part is still true), go back and cuddle my husband who would hit the snooze over and over, get up, make breakfast while Jeff was getting dressed for work, sit down and eat breakfast together, make Jeff's lunch, drive him to work...come home and get ready myself. It was such a great start and yet, it ended.
After Braxton was born I read that I would still get up with Jeff but instead of a big bacon and egg breakfast I would simply pour his cereal and milk and sit with him while he ate it. Still made his lunch but thankfully didn't have to get the baby up and drive him to work. Still special.
Then something happened...I learned that baby's sleep is a huge essential to my whole day and started to make it a priority. Braxton learned that if he woke up and if I wasn't ready to wake up he could jump into bed with me and fall back asleep. A win, win, for all....except my cherished morning routine with Jeff. Needless to say I would still make his lunch, I would just do it the night before, and I would make sure he had breakfast within reach of the pastry tray where I would leave muffins, fresh bread...but it wasn't the same.
So....around the same time I started reading these old journals I was also feeling a bit lost in my routine. I felt mentally exhausted and I discovered it was because I was allowing my children to decide when my day started, rather than deciding myself. I recognized that I am the happiest and things go the smoothest when I am able to have some time with Jeff in the morning, one on one, and then have a bit of time to myself before the kids got out of bed.
This has been amazing and it's way more beneficial to me than an extra hour of sleep. I have re-committed myself to waking with Jeff, making his breakfast and getting his lunch ready, then having a cup of tea and self meditation before the kids crawl out of bed. It is a win, win, win, win, for everyone and I am anxious to keep it going.

3 comments:

Amber & Ammon said...

Andrea, This is so sweet, and you are truly blessed as a wife & mother!

Jessica said...

You are amazing Andrea!! I wan to see you before this baby comes!! Call me!

MAUIGOOSE said...

GOOD FOR YOU! I NOTICE I DON'T GET MUCH CHAT TIME WITH BRYCE AT NIGHT AND I MISSED HIM WHEN I STOPPED WAKING UP AND DOING THAT SAME THING. ITS NICE TO START IT UP AGAIN AND FEEL GOOD ABOUT YOUR DAYS. GOOD LUCK ON IT AFTER #3!