Sunday, December 22, 2013

Special Awards

 We were invited to the school last Thursday morning for a special assembly. Both the kids received awards. The Citizenship Award was given out after the perfect attendance award. Braxton and Adelle both got the Citizenship Award. They are so good. I wish they would have had all the kids who got the Citizenship Award walk up to the front but they didn't. They just had them stand where they were. They announced Adelle's first and then after Adelle Ashmore they called out over the loudspeaker "Brayden Ashmore" so poor Braxton wasn't sure what to do until his teacher assured him that was him, they had just pronounced his name wrong. Or essentially just said the wrong name altogether. Good thing this wasn't his first rodeo! He didn't seem to really mind. He had been excited about Adelle receiving her award. Such a good big brother.
 Here he is from across the gym looking all cool! 
 And little Miss Adelle. She knew the Assembly was today and that she would be getting an award because she brought Jeff and I the invitation. 
So when she wanted to wear her Christmas dress today I had to say yes. Just too cute this girl. It's a PE day so of course she is wearing her sneakers and the pink leggings were just a bonus to keep her legs warm I guess. 
 The last award was titled "The Special Award". The Principal told each teacher they were to pick one of their students for the special award. Each teacher picked their own criteria for the award and their student.
Adelle's teacher got the microphone. She began by telling everyone in the audience that she has a moto that she says every morning with her students.  The moto is something about doing your best and working hard, being kind.... She continued by saying the student she chose was one who lives by every word in that motto every day. She said that the student she picked is always kind. She said that she has never heard anything unkind come out of this students mouth. She said that this student is always the first to obey and the first to be a good friend. She said this student works hard and helps everyone around her. 
(So I am sitting there and I am like this is totally Adelle)
She then announced, "The speical award from Mrs. Hunters class goes to.... Adelle Ashmore."
 Here is Adelle shaking Mrs. Hunters Hand

Mrs. Hunter came up to me during the assembly and told me what an absolute joy Adelle is to have in class. She said she has never seen a little girl with so much love in her heart and it made me cry right then and there. 

I am so, so, proud of these kids Braxton and Adelle. They are so wonderful and they aren't just wonderful for me. They just are wonderful. I love going to the school or to church or wherever we are and people come out of their way to tell me how much they love my children. I don't think there is any greater compliment that I could possibly receive. My heart is so full of love for these little ones. They are shining stars and I am thankful to know that they are growing up to be really good, kind and considerate people.

Adelle's class is unlike anything I have ever experienced. There are so many children with so many needs. There are multiple language barriers, there are various levels of social skills, there are many behavioral problems... It's a challenging environment but one that I have seen Adelle really make the most of. She is always positive about school. She has been treated unkind numerous times but she is always the first to forgive and move on. I am so proud of this little lady. She is young and sweet and yet she is so mature and conscientious.  She is totally thriving at school and letting her bright light shine.

4 comments:

Marcy M Miller said...

That is an awesome reward for Adelle. She does sound like such a sweet good little girl! And wow.. for your kids to have perfect attendance that is awesome!

Andrea said...

Sorry that was confusing. My kids didn't have perfect attendance.

Baylee said...

This made me cry!!!! That is so cool that Adelle got that award. And that Braxton got one too. I just love what the teacher said about Adelle. And how she got all dressed up. She looks so cute.
I love seeing your kids because they are always so sweet and funny and all their personalities are so unique. I loved at Braxton/Gage's birthday party when I came in Adelle went "Bayleeeee oh Bayleeeeee." It made me feel special.

Jessica Froberg said...

This is an awesome post Andrea! We had so much fun with you and your awesome family during Christmas!