Thursday, December 19, 2013

and so this is Christmas

 In the beginning of the month we made salt dough ornaments galore. Actually we did salt dough and then we also did this one that was cornstarch and baking soda and we liked it better than the salt dough. 
 My kids just love to paint and glitter pretty much anything.
 They are all so good at it too!

 I went to my Grandma Mary's to visit and unexpectedly came home with Christmas decorations galore. We already have way more than we have room for but there was something really special about my Grandma's ornaments. I found some that her and my Grandpa had gotten on different trips they had taken together and it was sentimental to me. So I made a wreath for our front door, all with bulbs and ribbon from my Grandma's old tree. 
 Going to get the good old tree was an option this year. I know, what?? It's a long time tradition and we "always" go together, all of us, to the tree farm and we all pick out the very best tree and yada yada yada. Well, this year that wasn't the case. It was like 18 degrees. Jeff wanted to go, I didn't. He asked who wanted to go and I asked who wanted to stay home and be warm. There you have it. Jeff, Brax, and Adelle ventured out and came home with the greatest tree and Emmett, Gage and I stayed home and were warm. Everyone was happy! So non-traditional though, I know. 
 The lights are lovely, I love the kids on the porch. They are freezing.
 Here is Brax holding the tree center. 
 The traditional cookie plate from Auntie Angela. Here are the kids deciding on their 1st pick. 
 Braxton reading a Christmas book to Adelle and Emmett. Probably my favorite picture yet this season. Totally candid.
 All bundled up and ready to go. Gage loves to be outside, even when it's freezing.
 Here are the boys one day when we ventured out to the store during the cold spell. 

 I got to spend a Saturday morning with some friends hanging out and making Christmas goodies. Love these ladies!! This is a tradition that Meghan hosts every year and it's always such a jolly old time. 
 Lots of projects being worked on around here. It's a very homemade Christmas this year and we are totally getting into it. Jeff is awesome at projects. The perfect Santa. Emmett's a pretty good little elf too ;)
 My favorite wreath I made a few years ago is officially outdated. My little Gager's hand isn't on it!! I still love it though and I am yet to get motivated to do another one. 
 I got pretty sick. Like down and out for a while. Really hard on everyone. This is what the afternoons would look like. All the kids on my messy bed, making more of a mess with pictures and homework and... 
 Gage mastered nose blowing.
 It is pretty much hilarious and adorable.
 I have so many pictures of him doing this. The funniest part is he never even had a runny nose he just watched me do it so many times he caught on. 
 Emmett colored me so many pictures. Best little color-er ever!
 My mom came and got the kids one night and took them to the mall to dinner, ride the train and buy these "cute" hats. Laugh out loud! Thank goodness my mom came and rescued my kids. They were getting a bit stir crazy. They are so, so, good. 
 I totally thought Braxton had more fashion sense than this. How disappointing. 
 Jeff took the kids to the Christmas Party at church. Santa was there. Adelle wants a pink guitar? Most random girl/gift ever. 

 Emmett is really thinking about Santa and really curious about how he knows what he wants, how he knows if he's bad or good... Smart boy!
 And Brax just looks way too big to be on Santa's lap. How did that happen?

I couldn't believe I was too sick to go to the Christmas Party. So sad. I was even in charge of the dinner for the darn thing. Thankfully I got everything I could get done early, and I had a great committee who tied up the edges and made it all happen that night. 


While my family was gone that night I sat in front of the Christmas tree and sulked. Not really. For real I sat in front of the Christmas tree, listened to Christmas carols  for the first time all season and cried. Seriously. I cried about the songs I heard. Cried at the thought of how awesome my family was and how well they were all keeping it together. Cried at how thankful I am for my life and my health. Cried as I looked at the tree and recognized all the familiar ornaments;
the red glitter balls ( I miss you Andrea!!)
the stars
the homemade ones by the kids
the annual Grandma and Grandpa Johnson ornaments
the teacups from when my sister and I got married
the ones from Jeff and mines first Christmas
the ones of all our babies firsts Christmases...

 We finally got around to making our count down links mid December. Less anticipation that way we've discovered accidently ;) Adelle and Emmett cut the strips and Braxton taped the links and connected them. 
6 more days!!
 Adelle, Em, and I made the infamous Nuts & Bolts. This is a yummy snack that my Great Grandma made. Now my Grandma makes it, my mom makes it, and I make it with my kids. My kids love it. Gage was pointed and screaming for it all night. When we gave him his dinner he threw it all on the floor and then pointed at the nuts and bolts and started grunting. So funny, but not!

 Jeff turned 32! It was special. It was the first day I was really feeling better. He had a good day. Got some nice cards, bacon waffles, some money, a cool SuperMan/Batman shirt, a cast iron skillet, a pencil (from Brax)... Best of all I cooked him a Prime Rib birthday dinner. It was the first prime rib I have ever even cooked and it was so delicious.
Braxton said it was what he wanted for his birthday dinner next year. Ha! I told him his daddy was really, really, special and that one day when he was a daddy maybe his wife would make him prime rib. ;)
I love my husband he is the BEST! 
 Every year I make a photo ornament and this is this years. I love it. It's that dough I mentioned earlier, with a mod-podged picture, and then while the mod podge was still wet I sprinkled white glitter on it too. It adds beautifully to the collection. 
 Here are the goods after we packaged them all up. Next step, caroling and dropping them off with some of our favorites. This is the hardest part. I always want to give gifts to everyone. And singing, we always want to go to everyones house caroling but hauling in and out of the car can only really be done so many times in an evening. Time is getting away!!
 This little elf joined our house for the season thanks to Jeff's mom. He's been an exciting part of the mornings around here. 
 Couldn't blame him for finding the stock pile and getting into the goodies  ;)
Couldn't blame this little one either ;0

1 comment:

Baylee said...

Those ornaments are so cool. I can't wait until Ole is old enough to enjoy doing this stuff! Every time I see what Gage is up to I think "that's what Olz will be doing in a year."
We ate all our cookies from Angela in one night... oops...
I love the pic of Brax reading to Adelle and Emmett. That is so sweet!
Those hats are hilarious. Your mom would get those!
I see our Christmas card on your wall! Cool!!