Tuesday, June 1, 2010

stop and think

Memorial Weekend was rainy! I know, it rains here almost yearly on Memorial Day. Why is that? I could have pouted about this, except, Memorial Day will always have a special place in my heart. Jeff asked me on our first date on this weekend 7 years ago.
You didn't ask, I know, but just because it makes me feel "hot" I will tell you briefly how this all went down.
Jeff's best friend told Jeff he was going to ask me out and asked Jeff to find a date and double with "us." What does Jeff do??? He hangs up the phone and promptly calls me first! It's a great story and it still makes me smile. What a "go-getter" my babe is! Needless to say his friend was not on our date with "us" and Jeff and I have been together ever since. So I will always really like this special weekend.
The other good news about the rainy weekend is that Jeff and I watched 2 movies together! This is huge for my husband who loves to watch movies and huge for me who rarely can stay up for a movie. I don't think we had watched a movie together since Emmett was born! That's pretty pathetic. The first night we watched Sahara. This was a trick played on me, by my sweet husband. He tells me all romantically that he got this movie that he really thinks I'll like and I totally fall for it because I am so out of touch I have no idea what Sahara is. So we watch it and it's o.k, not really my sort of movie but I like it fine. Action packed for sure. Definitely a movie he liked! So his trick worked and I was a good sport.
The second night my aunt brought over Extreme Measures. This was such a touching movie and I can honestly say it made me stop and think about my life and my marriage and my family and my goals and passions.....
This movie was heart wrenching. It was rated PG which is so hard to come by these days and it was so wholesome and inspiring. I love movies like this. Almost like maybe there are people out there who like to watch something decent. I loved the story and the dedication these men gave their families and there passions.
I cried. Jeff cried. After the movie was over we talked and thought. We went into the rooms of all three of our beautiful, healthy, happy children's rooms and for a few moments we watched them sleep. We smiled at how "out" they were and how precious and innocent they look when they are asleep. We listened to their sleepy sounds and held each other in pride and gratitude for each of them.
The reviews I read on this movie were lame. I liked it, a lot. It made me feel good inside.

5 comments:

Kristin said...

I really, really like lame movies, Andrea, so I probably would have liked that one too. Haha.

Kelsey said...

I didn't realize your first date was Memorial Day Weekend, that's also when paul and I got engaged! But, you guys were still married before us. :)

Nate & Kate said...

Ore wa Harisu choro. Saikin, Ashumoru choro ni renraku shite mio to omota. Sore wa mondai ni narimashita. Ore no kaita denwa bango wa tsukaenakunarimashita. Jusho wa tadakunai. renraku suru koto was dekinakunaruso deshita.
givu upu shio to omou aida, ashumoru choro no okasan o mitsuketa, facebook de. sono renraku kara, anatatachi o mitsuketa. kono mesegi o wakareba, ore ni renraku shi nasai. ore no denwa bango wa (ni maru hachi) yon san ichi - hachi roku san san.

mata ne.

A and C said...

I watched that movie last weekend and loved it as well. THanks for the update!

Kirsta 'n co. said...

I have been putting off renting that movie because the THOUGHT of a seriously sick kid makes me tear up like crazy. When we get to a sad part in a movie, Joe sneaks looks at me like "yet? are you crying yet? how 'bout now?" and it's pretty embarassing to cry with someone watching. So maybe I'll rent it one night he's gone!

Dang, though, your husband IS a go-getter! That's the cutest story ever!