Thursday, June 3, 2010

"In a minute"


Have you ever said that and really meant it? Have you ever said that and really known it would be way longer than a minute?
I will confess, I have done both!
Today however, I really meant in one minute.
The kids and I had just gotten home from Costco and I was multi-tasking (unloading the car, making lunch, eating chips & hummus, cutting vegetables, unloading the dishwasher...). Braxton asked if he and Adelle could go outside and play. A few minutes later Adelle comes in and Braxton asks me, "mom want to come watch my play baseball?" My immediate response, "yes I do, in just a minute ok." I really anticipated getting lunch done and setting up a picnic out in the yard and watching him play his game in roughly a minute.
What happened next still makes my head spin. Emmett immediately woke up in his car-seat, where he had fallen asleep on the way home from Costco, and was hungry. I got him out, nursed him and as I was holding him after he nursed he burps and then poos. Like really big poo until I can feel poo on my lap. Yesterdays poo combined with today's poo all over both of us...
So I start to change him and finally surrender to the fact that he must be bathed. Now! Into the bathroom we go. Into the tub.
Next Adelle comes in and see's Emmett in the tub and decides she wants in too! I strip her down to find she has also pooed. I change her and now she just wants to be naked without getting in the tub. So she runs off with no clothes and takes Emmett's towel with her. I get Emmett washed up and go to grab the towel which is gone. Silly Adelle comes running in with her cute little self in the towel "cape".
The three of us go into Adelle's room where I lotion them up and put diapers on them. Next time I will remember to put Emmett's diaper on before the lotion but after being pooed on it didn't really phase me when he sprayed my shirt. After Adelle gets her diaper on she decides she is ready for milk. Ok, yes, she still nurses too. Just at home, not a big deal to anyone but her and let me tell you it is a really big deal to her. I swaddle up Emmett and lay him in his cradle to nap and nurse Adelle. Then I lay her down for nap.
Phew!
This is the best part. I come out to the kitchen. Throw my dirty shirt in the laundry room. It's been at least 35 minutes since Braxton asked me to come watch him play baseball. I look out the back screen door....he was still there, playing. He notices me and says, "ready to come watch me play, mom?"
It was almost like he didn't even realize it had been more than a minute!
I told him I was ready, grabbed our lunch and went outside to picnic and play baseball. What a kind young man he is. So patient and grateful that I was playing with him. No nap for him today. Just mom and Braxton time!
The funniest part of all of this is that it is just that....funny. In the past all of that might have actually killed me but thanks to the three of them my tight rope has been loosed and things like this don't even make my head spin anymore. It was so stressless I wondered if I was even really conscious during it all.
Bring it on!
And when I checked on Emmett this is what I saw. I had to snap a shot of this cute chubby boy!

7 comments:

CLS said...

Not many 4 year olds would be that patient. What a good boy; sympathetic to his mama.

Nate & Kate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nate & Kate said...

I left a comment on your last blog post in japanese. Have Jeff Read it.

Peter and Lesha said...

that is soooo sweet I know exactly what you mean though there are days when I think Carson knows that one min means in like 20 mins and on those days I am so thankful for him and his sweetness, there are other days when he is not so patient and that's ok too he is only two, Adelle cracks me up.

Vashti said...

It is so crazy how things like that storm all together when you are a momma! I guess I say "just a minute" or "in two seconds" a lot. When Olivia runs away to get a toy or something else for me she will stop turn around and say "be back in TWO minutes Mom, okay?" while holding two fingers up. It cracks me up everytime!

Tina said...

Someone passed your blog on to us...such a beautiful family! We have lost your contact information, but would love to hear from you. Jim and Tina Whitesides

Jeremy Saunders said...

I miss that Braxton, he is a patient guy, and a great mama's helper. And probably a typical oldest child (like me), gotta love them! That story made me tired! I think I am glad I am out of the diaper poo phase. Now I just scoop it.
m