Thursday, March 20, 2008

Becoming as little children

So this is my day and it's pretty standard for most days. Braxton wakes up about 6:00am and I go and get him from his room and bring him into bed with me. He cuddles me and instantly falls back asleep. Around 8 I wake up to him stroking his fingers through my hair. He's been awake a few minutes but is patiently waiting for me to notice the tickling feeling when he brushes my hair across my face. This drives me absolutely crazy but I know that the days of him wanting to play with my hair wont last forever so I cherish it. We get up and sing the "goodmorning" song which is always a highlight of his day. I have to go to the bathroom, always as soon as we wake up,so he follows me in and sits on the bath mat directly in front of the toilet while I relieve myself. No privacy whatsoever. Immediately he wants his "ball clothes" on, as he calls them, and they consist of any basketball outfit. Then it's time for breakfast. This is impressive, we both sit at his little tike picnic table which is in the kitchen and only about a foot high. Not bad for a pregnant lady but it's getting more and more uncomfortable. For some reason Braxton insists that this is wear we eat our breakfast. When Jeff eats with us all 3 of us sit there which is even more hillarious and which is why it is a good thing we aren't any bigger than we are. I could go on and on but so far we are only about a half hour into my day. The point? I never ever could have imagined that someone so small could have such an amazing affect on my life, for the good. Braxton is so dependent on me and so much responsibility but he gives back a million times more than I could ever ask for. He'll throw a fit because I told him, "no" and then he'll come running to me for hugs and kisses to make him feel better. Wasn't I the one that made him upset? He's so forgiving and so loving and has so much to teach me. He teaches me to get excited over little things and to not sweat the small stuff like spilt milk or crumbs on the floor. He teaches me that it's more fun to cuddle with someone you love than to sleep in your own cold crib and that when you do love someone to touch them and hold them and stroke their hair and tell them you love them without worrying about what they will do or think. He teaches me that it's more fun to get up off the couch and dance with the Wiggles than to sit on the couch and mock their ridiculousness. He teaches me that sentences are way more interesting when you respond with, "no way." He teaches me that it's better to sit at the same table as long as you are together then to be comfortable at a normal size table and that it's ok to wear the same clothes for 3 days in a row if they are your favorite and make you feel like a better basketball player. Most importantly he teaches me that life is so short and to enjoy every moment. For the first time I am starting to understand what it says in the scriptures about becoming as little children. If we all loved more and stressed less our world would be better.

3 comments:

Peter and Lesha said...

Wow, I really needed that, I balled for a while after reading it. Braxton is the reason I wanted a baby, and it's hard right now when carson could care less what I do for him. Thanks for your words, I am so excited for what the future holds with my little guy now and not so stressed about his 4pm tantrums

April said...

You said it perfectly! It is so amazing how much love you can feel for your children. Some days are tough and I think, maybe three kids is enough. But most days I just want time to stand still so I can enjoy how sweet and magical their young age is, and then I think I could be the mom to eight children!! Thanks for your post.

Johnny and Eirian said...

So sweet! What is Jeff in school for now? Your lovely post made me so happy and wistful for a future with little snugglers in our househole too :)