Wednesday, January 7, 2015

sweetness


Adelle has always been the sweet tooth of the family. The one who asks for treats. The one who wants to make dessert. The one who randomly brings up the time that we had apple crisp and ice cream for dinner and, "are we ever going to do that again?"

I am not a treat your children with sugar mom. I'm just not. And I don't desire to be. I am the mom who takes my kids to parks and on bike rides and lets them watch a movie with fresh popcorn. I tell them bedtime stories and give them yummy flavored fish oil.
But, Adelle's love language is "treat me with treats" and sometimes I recognize that regardless of how I feel about sugar. I want to meet my girls need. I want to "treat" her the way that she likes to be treated. Because she is worth it.

After Christmas just her and  I were doing some returns and errands together.  We had finished up at Fred Meyer and we were waiting for Jeff and the boys who were someplace else, to come and pick us up. We walk out of the store and I call Jeff to find out that he's still a ways out. So, un-naturally, I turn to Adelle and I say, "maybe you and I should have an ice cream date!"

The rest was pure bliss. We both got chocolate cones. They were less money than I expected because it just so happened to be Baskin Robbin's going out of business sale. We sat and savored our ice creams and talked about all the flavors we love and she kept wondering why I got chocolate too and not cookie dough or eggnog. We bought the boys cones too, go hard or go home style, and surprised them when they picked us up. They were equally thrilled. Pistacio almond for Jeff, Cookies and Cream for Braxton, Chocolate for Emmett and Gage got my half eaten ice cream cone, Chocolate.


So that was then, a few weeks ago. And this is tonight:

Adelle: "So this one time when we took our Christmas tree down there were all these candy canes on the table and I took one into the play room and hid it in the couch and I thought, "perfect so now I can come in here and eat it whenever I want. But then, I remembered that Heavenly Father wouldn't want me to do that so I brought it back and put it on the table."

Love my little sugar baby!

No comments: