Saturday, June 7, 2014

Becoming as a Hen




Our hen, "Momma" as we call her, welcomed her little hatchlings on Wednesday and Thursday. So far we have 7 baby peep peeps. They are so, so, cute. On Wednesday when we heard the first little new chirp the big kids were at school but Emmett must have sat in front of the chicken coop for 1/2 the day waiting for more little chirps.
Braxton is the most in love. He has cared for Momma during her whole 3 weeks of nesting and he has been waiting for all of these little chicks to make their arrival.
The other night when we were out there looking at them he said something like, "all that momma has to do is sit on her chicks."
That got my wheels turning and then my own momma guilt set it. 

Why can't I just sit on my babes all day? Cuddle them. Read to them. Hold them while they peacefully sleep... I want to be a Momma Hen. I want to have someone bring me the food and the water. Clean up my pen when it gets dirty. Man!

That night I took a minute during my prayer and asked my Father to help me make that extra time to be the mom that I want to be. I am busy. That's a fact. I don't have a housecleaner or a personal chef. But I do have 24 hours a day and more of that time I want to spend engaged and cuddling my kids. 

Well... Be careful what you pray for...

The next morning I got home from taking my big kids to school only to find that my garage door opener didn't work and I was locked out of my house for literally all day! From 9:15 until 4:30 I got to be a Momma Hen. I couldn't cook or clean. All I did was play with my kids. 
Jeff was working out of town and so the little boys and I played in the backyard, and played some more. We snuggled on the blanket in the sun. We swam in the kiddie pool. We played lots of baseball. Rode bikes. Explored nature...



 Thankfully we had running water, boys who can "go" anywhere, towels and swim shorts on the clothesline. We were set.

Emmett said 4 prayers, asking Heavenly Father to, "make the doors work." My friend from down the street came by and replaced the battery in my garage door opener. Still, it didn't work.

I found $10 in my car that the boys and I took to Haggens for lunch. One cliff bar for each boy. One pepperoni stick from the deli that we all shared. One water bottle (Ferndale water is really not good unless it's filtered) and one bunch of carrots. Lunch. The boys were happy about the cliff bars!

Then after lunch the boys were tired and I was feeling a bit stranded. I called my mom and it just so happened that she was getting off of work. She met us at Costco and lent me money for my huge list. See, Costco was where we were headed that morning after we took the kids to school.

The day ended up being great. We came home and had popsickles for when the big kids came home. We were still locked out until Jeff got home but it could have been so much worse. The sun was shining. Our spirits were bright. I was just so happy that I was actually dressed. Some days I drop the kids off at school without a putting on a bra, without shoes, without brushing my teeth, my hair... depends on the day.
But today I was dressed. I was brushed and ready. 
Today I got to be what I really needed. I was to a Momma Hen.
And I will Amen to that.


1 comment:

Baylee said...

I LOVE that! And it sounds like a great day!!!! I bet the kids had a ton of fun too. Also, Gage looks SO tall!!!!